Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

12 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Start new topicStart new topic
> The Expanded Arcade Era appreciation & discussion thread, for Arcade Era DK and its non-DKC continuations
I.M.Gibbon
post Oct 4 2014, 03:48 PM
Post #1

Immortal Monkey

So here's a thread, in Completely Relevant, for discussion/appreciation/whatever of the Expanded Arcade Era.

By that I mean the Arcade Donkey Kong series, it's spiritual successors in the form of the Mario vs. Donkey Kong series, the Game & Watch Donkey Kong titles and the Game & Watch Gallery series, offshoots like Blue Collar Mario (Mario Bros, Cement Factory, Wrecking Crew, etc) and Ice Climber, and modern day takes like Donkey Kong's Crash Course and NES Remix. Hell, we can even include shows like Saturday Supercade and physical games like the Donkey Kong edition of Jenga.

I'll just open this up with the event that started it all, all those many years ago:::

IPB Image
IPB ImageIPB Image
IPB ImageIPB Image
IPB ImageIPB Image
IPB ImageIPB Image

While the Expanded Arcade Era is certainly overshadowed by its DKC successor, it's still there. Pauline has been recently spotlighted in Puzzle Swap and now Smash Bros, standing alongside the likes of Peach and Zelda as a "Nintendo Starlet" of import. Foreman Spike has popped up every once in a blue moon, and gets some references here and there. The Mario vs. Donkey Kong series is the spiritual continuation of the old games, and things like Nintendo Land and NES Remix provide fresh takes on the old classics.

I'm not really expecting a whole lot of response to this, but feel free to stop in and discuss anything from what you liked about Donkey Kong Circus to wondering where the hell Stanley is now to asking the really hard hitting questions like "is the second Mario in the DK Jr intro actually Luigi?"

Enjoy.
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
I.M.Gibbon
post Oct 5 2014, 12:20 PM
Post #2

Immortal Monkey

Well this is off to a lively start.

Anyway.

So today I'm going to do a post about Snapjaw, the original anti-Kong enemy.

IPB Image

Look at that thing.

Mario was sending robotic bear traps after Jr. What the hell, Mario?

Though to be fair, DK Sr was sending them at Mario in DK'94, and they say turnabout is fair play, right? Though that beggers the question of where the hell DK got them from, but then again, that question could be asked of lots of things in DK'94.

Snapjaws are the most ubiquitous enemy in DK Jr, appearing in 3 out of the four stages, being featured in the cabinet art, and returning in the most games beyond their original, as well as inspiring the classic DKC ankle-biter enemy category which consists of Klaptraps, Klampons, and the like.

IPB Image

They were featured in the first three Mario vs. Donkey Kong games as minions/tools/appropriated resources of the big ape himself, getting a bit of a design make-over to be more mecahnical crocodile heads instead of straight up hunting traps.

It should be noted that I've seen it claimed that these guys are not named the same as the original Snapjaws in Japanese, and may be technically a seperately named enemy category, but even if this is the case, you can clearly see the familial resemblance in both looks and attack pattern.

A similar but different enemy, Snap Jaw (note the separation of words), shows up in Yoshi's Island DS.

IPB Image

As you can see, these guys are wholly organic crocodiles, but retain the same attack patterns as their similarly named descendants (the game is a prequel, after all).

So, yeah.

These guys are arguably the origin of the whole Gorillas vs Crocodiles thing going on in the DKC series, as their sprites in the arcade game look like a little croc head. They've had a lasting effect on the franchise, and their ripples and influence are still present in the games today.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Yusuf
post Oct 5 2014, 03:02 PM
Post #3

Video Game Hero

QUOTE(I.M.Gibbon @ Oct 5 2014, 01:20 PM) *

IPB Image

IPB Image
This is where my mind first went. Am I crazy, or is there an actual resemblance here? Obviously, it would be a complete coincidence, but it's interesting nonetheless.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
I.M.Gibbon
post Oct 5 2014, 03:25 PM
Post #4

Immortal Monkey

Haha right you are!

An interesting coincidence indeed.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Milo
post Oct 5 2014, 04:07 PM
Post #5

Video Game Hero

I like that colouring book fleshing out the backstory. It's worth mentioning that to get even more of that, those old Comic Bombom manga are great. Also the Saturday Supercade show, but that's almost impossible to find.

Oh. Actually I forgot that the site that hosted those manga is dead. If anyone didn't download when they had the chance, post here and I might reupload them myself.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Krazy Kopter
post Oct 5 2014, 04:14 PM
Post #6

Kong Family Helper

I know this is supposed to be about just the arcade game, but the Snapjaw ties into two DKC enemies. There's Klaptrap, both being small blue enemies with big maws, and coincidentally and Lockjaws in DKC2, that also bear a resemblance to the red ones and have a pink variation actually called Snapjaw.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
SwankyKlubba
post Oct 5 2014, 04:30 PM
Post #7

He likes Swanky and Klubba

Why isn't this thread in the Donkey Kong Discussion again? Wouldn't it make more sense to have it there?
Good on you for making it though, Gibbon.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
I.M.Gibbon
post Oct 5 2014, 04:53 PM
Post #8

Immortal Monkey

Mostly because whenever I post anything arcade related anywhere, I get either a) bitched at, or b) questioned why it isn't in Completely Relevant. But now that I look, all those posters are currently banned, so... if someone with admin powers wants to move this to a more appropriate subforum, feel free!

And Kopter, this is about the Expanded Arcade Universe, which arguably includes the DKU, so feel free to bring up legacy and connections!

In addition to Klaptraps, MarioWiki also points out Chain Chomps as being similar in concept to Snapjaws, being basically pointy mouths on chains. It's interesting to see the two different directions the evolution took from a common ancestry.

Are there any other enemies in the DKU that can be derived from arcade ancestry?

One could probably argue that Necky and MiniNecky take something from the Nitpicker family of birds with projectiles enemies, and the Dumb Drums and Manky Kongs are also overt callbacks to the first Donkey Kong Arcade title. Zingers and the like deriving from the Buzzbees of DK3 might be a stretch, though.

Oh and Milo, where else might I find those manga and comics you mentioned?
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Sean
post Oct 5 2014, 04:58 PM
Post #9

Immortal Monkey

This is a megathread for non-DKU games. Completely Relevant's the right forum for it, speaking to the letter of the law.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Rawk
post Oct 5 2014, 05:17 PM
Post #10

Immortal Monkey

On more than one occasion I've found myself wondering if Tropical Freeze's Buzzies are descendants of the Buzzbees, considering they inhabit the same island Donkey Kong 3 took place on and have similar names and everything.
User is online!PM
+Quote Post
Milo
post Oct 5 2014, 06:09 PM
Post #11

Video Game Hero

QUOTE(I.M.Gibbon @ Oct 6 2014, 08:53 AM) *

Oh and Milo, where else might I find those manga and comics you mentioned?

Currently? Nowhere. Which is a bitch because there were so many on that site. I guess I could put them all up on filesharing sites myself, since I downloaded most of them... What about a torrent? I've never really made one myself.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
FamiKong
post Oct 5 2014, 06:39 PM
Post #12

Video Game Hero

What are everyone's thoughts about DK94? Is it the definitive Donkey Kong game or is it a separate adventure from the original arcade game?
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
I.M.Gibbon
post Oct 5 2014, 06:45 PM
Post #13

Immortal Monkey

I view it the same way I view Metroid Zero Mission; an expanded remake in a new engine.

It incorporates elements of the Game & Watch DK games (Jr being involved in the original incident), and its ending both sets up Donkey Kong Jr and Mario's exploits in the Mushroom Kingdom.

Mechanically, I like it a lot, and I love the Super Gameboy enhancements like the extra screen space being a mock-up of an arcade cabinet. Great touch, that.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Yusuf
post Oct 5 2014, 09:49 PM
Post #14

Video Game Hero

I've always made the assumption that DK94 is just a more detailed retelling of the original game, making the arcade game just a condensed version of the complete story that is DK94. You can think of all of DK94's original content as the DK Arcade equivalent of Necky Nutmare.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Jeff
post Oct 5 2014, 10:12 PM
Post #15

DKVinecraft Admin

Since we see that DK Arcade exists IN DK'S WORLD (in DK64), I like to think that all the arcade games are actually in universe meta-games retelling events that actually happened... and DK'94 IS the actual event. DK'94 is what happened, and all the arcade/game'and'watch/ports are retellings of those events created within the universe the characters exist. That's my headcanon anyway.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
I.M.Gibbon
post Oct 6 2014, 03:57 PM
Post #16

Immortal Monkey

So today I wanted to do a post about Donkey Kong Jr. The character, not the game.

IPB Image

He of course later grew up and inherited his (grand?)father's tie, starring in the Donkey Kong Country series, but for now let's focus on the misadventures of his youthful days.

IPB Image

Junior first appeared in the form of a character named Mini Donkey Kong in the Game & Watch Donkey Kong title. He was a little gorilla sitting on a girder off to the side who handled the alarm function for the game (remember, they're also watches, of a sort). The Wonder Life guide for Donkey Kong '94 confirms that this is indeed the same character who showed up less than a year later in his own titular game, Donkey Kong Jr. But we'll get to that in a bit.

IPB Image

Chronologically, his next appearance would be in the expanded portions of the 1994 gameboy remake/expansion of the original Donkey Kong. Here, he takes a bit of an expanded role from just sitting on the sidelines as in the G&W title and actively helps his father fend off Mario, usually by working switches or throwing stuff at the little Italian protagonist.

In the end, Mario manages to trap the little blighter, and defeats/captures Donkey Kong. This leads us to a cute little scene of Jr taking off after Mario, which leads us to...

IPB Image

Donkey Kong Jr (the game), focuses on Jr's trials and tribulations in rescuing his father from Mario. Going through jungles and the aptly named "Mario's hideout", Jr eventually rescues his dad, who promptly gives Mario the boot.

IPB Image

The last of the original set of the Donkey Kong family games that Junior appears in was the "this really isn't that good, is it?" title Donkey Kong Jr Math, which received such a response of "MEH" from the general populous that Nintendo cancelled development of it's follow-up, DOnkey Kong's Fun With Music, which would have also featured the old arcade gang.

IPB ImageIPB Image

During the interum, he had regular segments on the short-lived Saturday Supercade cartoon program, acting as an ersatz Scrappy Doo while chasing after Mario, who was chasing after his dad. He also had his own breakfast cereal, sporting a new look that was infinitely better, and thus completely ignored for the rest of time.

IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Image

After the Supercade shut down, Junior would sporadically appear in Mario sports spinoffs for the next decade, showing up in things like Super Mario Kart and the early Mario Tennis titles. Though he was a regular in the Game & Watch Gallery titles, reliving his old adventures while making new friends. Since Game & Watch Gallery 4 in 2002 though, he hasn't really put in any in person appearances.

Or has he?

IPB Image

2006's Yoshi's Island DS (ne YI2) featured a character called Baby Donkey Kong, who is presumed to be the infant version of the current DKC Donkey Kong, given that he and Mario are the same age. Since the current DK is meant to be the grown up version of Junior, we can surmise that Baby DK and Junior are in fact different names for the same character, just as Mini Donkey Kong was way back in early '82.

Yoshi's Island DS chronicles the misadventures of the Yoshi tribe as the rescue a bundle of baby's from Kamek's clutches, which include Babies DK, Mario, Luigi, & Peach, among others.

IPB Image

Baby DK next showed up in 2008's Mario Super Sluggers via whatever time travel means everybody keeps using and apparently has ready access to as a member of his adult self's baseball team. I'm somewhat surprised DK didn't also just go ahead and pull several more different versions of himself out of the timestream to fill out the roster. If you want something done right, you know?

Since then though, our little tyke has only shown up in remixes like Wario Ware minigames or segments in the aptly named NES Remix. Mini/Junior/Baby hasn't really been used anywhere else since his brief resurgence on the sports scene (or should that be debut? Fucking time travel).

Thus, it would seem, we have come to an end of the chronicles of the big galumph's adventurous youth.

I do hope he'll be back in another title some day, in some form.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Rawk
post Oct 6 2014, 04:14 PM
Post #17

Immortal Monkey

I still remember The Great Debate over the true nature of Baby DK's identity, with at least a few people claiming it was actually Baby Cranky just so that YIDS wouldn't be DKU. Ahhhhhhh, good times.

The maturing of DK is always a fascinating thing to look back at. (How many other Mario/DK characters have been featured in three distinctly different ages?)
User is online!PM
+Quote Post
AngrySun86
post Oct 6 2014, 04:44 PM
Post #18

Brother Bear

I am all for this topic as long as we skip every Mario vs Donkey Kong game after the first one.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
I.M.Gibbon
post Oct 6 2014, 04:50 PM
Post #19

Immortal Monkey

Well, I do plan on bringing them up at some point. Sorry.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
AngrySun86
post Oct 6 2014, 04:52 PM
Post #20

Brother Bear

Whatever.

Still being all for this topic anyway.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Stilt Village
post Oct 6 2014, 05:10 PM
Post #21

Video Game Hero

I like how the cartoon predicted Scooby Kong at least a decade in advance.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
I.M.Gibbon
post Oct 7 2014, 06:30 PM
Post #22

Immortal Monkey

Forgot to mention the DK Jr coloring and activity books, and the eReader commercial. Oh well.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
GmanSir
post Oct 7 2014, 07:26 PM
Post #23

Kong Family Helper

I do wish Nintendo would give an official word now on who DK Jr actually is and where he is now. Of course no gaming "journalists" would give a rats ass, so they wouldn't ask in an interview. I am tired of the debate, and want to see it come to an end.
Hi
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
I.M.Gibbon
post Oct 7 2014, 10:24 PM
Post #24

Immortal Monkey

So today's big post is going to be about the Mario Bros. franchise (not to be confused with the Super Mario Bros. franchise)

The character of Mario first appeared in Donkey Kong, the protagonist trying to save the lovely Lady. Of course, all he could do at the time was Jump, Man. He, by this time officially named 'Mario', and his mysterious doppelganger then showed up again in Donkey Kong Jr, this time as the antagonist(s).

Afterwards, the second Mario was officially named Luigi, and the two headlined in a game under their own name: Mario Bros.

This is of course the famous Game & Watch title, not to be confused with the arcade game that came out some months later.

IPB Image

The game features the Brothers Mario working at a bottling plant, with the player having to help them manage multiple conveyors at once, assembling crates to go out for delivery without fucking it up too much.

In July of 1983, some months after the G&W title of the same name, the Arcade game Mario Bros. came out.

IPB Image

It featured the pair fending off turtles (and other enemies) while collecting coins in the sewers, jumping up to hit blocks above and jumping on enemies below. It was a bit of a trend-setter, you might say.

Variants of the title were also released later, such as Punch-Ball Mario Bros. and Mario Bros. Special, each essentially mods of the title that changed the objective but re-used all the same assets as the original game.

Other Game & Watch games that fell under the Mario banner included Mario's Cement Factory and Mario's Bombs Away.

IPB Image
IPB Image

The former involved the little Itallian working at a cement factory, and the latter, strangely, involved him in what appears to have been the Vietnam War, though I'm half convinced they just stuck Mario's name on it for marketing purposes, which was not an uncommon practice at the time (or now, for that matter).

The final blue-collar, non Super Mario title to come out before the big SMB hit shelves didn't even have Mario in the title! Wrecking Crew dropped in 1984 or 1985, depending on your sources for when the Arcade version was released, but either way the NES version predates Super Mario Bros by about half a year.

IPB Image
(Spanish box art, because it looks so much better)

The game features the Bros ironically doing the opposite of how Mario started. In Donkey Kong, Mario was a carpenter, a builder. In Wrecking Crew, he's, well, on the wrecking crew. The game sees Mario and Luigi tearing down construction sites with hammer and explosives while navigating obstacles, avoiding enemies, and fleeing the wrath of Foreman Spike.

IPB Image

This guy is interesting in that he's the anti-Mario from before Wario was a thing, though ironically Waluigi actually pays a lot more homage to Spike than Wario ever does.

Outside of Wrecking Crew, Spike shows up again in Wrecking Crew '98 (released for the SNES in 1998 (duh)) as a minion of Bowser in a game that took the Wrecking Crew premise, ignored it, and decided to be a weird Tetris Attack hybrid instead. In that game, they seem to have missed the point of the character's design and nixed the beard in favor of a generic Italian mustache.

IPB Image

He gets back to his old look in, of all things, Mobile Golf, a cell phone iteration of the Mario Golf franchise that for some reason chose to feature Spike instead of more recent characters.

IPB Image

Anyway, Spike's debut Wrecking Crew was the last of working man Mario before he started up his adventures in Wonder Land The Mushroom Kingdom and ignoring all his friends (and foes) from times before.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Yoshizilla-Rhedosaurus
post Oct 7 2014, 11:57 PM
Post #25

Video Game Hero

I am really digging this thread. Kudos for doing it, Gibbon.

Also, what is the deal with Spike? Is he related to Wario and Waluigi, or given all the blatant references to him, was he Waluigi the entire time before he officially became 'Waluigi'?
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
I.M.Gibbon
post Oct 8 2014, 12:53 AM
Post #26

Immortal Monkey

I'm not even sure Spike has any official backstory. He's not officially related to Wario or Waluigi, though as I mentioned they do seem to homage him a lot with Waluigi.

The clipped scan from the Mario Character Book above reveals that he's from America, has a bit in the corner that says "ワリオよりいじわる?", which roughly translates to "Wario is less bad [than Spike]?" (take that how you will), and has first person quotes that say (roughly) "I am the original rival!" and then talks about fucking with Mario at his job (being the wrecking crew at the time) and trying to defeat (they use a very harsh word for defeat. Like "he's dead" defeat) him with bombs.

He's an evil mother fucker is what I'm saying.

He seems to have mellowed out a bit by the time Wrecking Crew 98 and Mobile Golf roll around though.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Spuzzwick
post Oct 8 2014, 12:58 AM
Post #27

Staff Member

Really interesting thread, Gibbon! Loving it!
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Caramelman
post Oct 8 2014, 01:53 AM
Post #28

Animal Buddy

Seconded, keep up the good work, Gibbon!

Also...

QUOTE(I.M.Gibbon @ Oct 7 2014, 10:24 PM) *

IPB Image

IPB Image
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Milo
post Oct 8 2014, 02:02 AM
Post #29

Video Game Hero

Yeah, awesome stuff. I just love seeing information and references like this put together in one place.

Minor correction though, you imply that Mobile Golf was on cell phones. Actually it's pretty much a mod/sequel of Mario Golf GBC, also on the GBC. It just uses a cell network adapter to do multiplayer, like the Japanese version of Pokemon Crystal.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Glowsquid
post Oct 8 2014, 06:46 AM
Post #30

Boss

The former involved the little Itallian working at a cement factory, and the latter, strangely, involved him in what appears to have been the Vietnam War, though I'm half convinced they just stuck Mario's name on it for marketing purposes, which was not an uncommon practice at the time (or now, for that matter).

Incidentally., Wrecking Crew is also an example of that practice.

Wired.com: At that point, you were using Mario and Luigi as characters. Did you have to go and ask Miyamoto if it was OK to use them?

Sakamoto: Originally, the Wrecking Crew character wasn’t Mario. He was just a guy with no moustache, wearing overalls. I was in a different department, but Mr. Miyamoto came along and said, “You know, you should probably just use Mario. He’s really easy to draw, and people recognize him.” So it was actually Mr. Miyamoto who pushed that.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
I.M.Gibbon
post Oct 8 2014, 09:12 AM
Post #31

Immortal Monkey

Ah thanks for the correction Milo. That makes more sense than Nintendo licensing out Mario for cell-phone games (though they've done stranger things with their licencing over the years).

Glowsquid, I was vaguely aware of that, but thanks for finding the actual interview quote!
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Sun-Wukong
post Oct 8 2014, 11:14 AM
Post #32

Immortal Monkey

QUOTE(Glowsquid @ Oct 8 2014, 08:46 AM) *
Wired.com: At that point, you were using Mario and Luigi as characters. Did you have to go and ask Miyamoto if it was OK to use them?

Sakamoto: Originally, the Wrecking Crew character wasn’t Mario. He was just a guy with no moustache, wearing overalls. I was in a different department, but Mr. Miyamoto came along and said, “You know, you should probably just use Mario. He’s really easy to draw, and people recognize him.” So it was actually Mr. Miyamoto who pushed that.
I find both Wrecking Crew and Star Fox Adventures to be very underappreciated (although not so much with the latter around these parts, obviously) so that makes a lot of sense.
[quote name='Slush' date='Apr 15 2013, 10:10 PM' post='275494']That's like saying all black people are related. Disgusting. I had no idea MasterDS was actually MasterRaceDS.[/quote]
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
I.M.Gibbon
post Oct 8 2014, 04:17 PM
Post #33

Immortal Monkey

Wrecking Crew is interesting also in that it's a bit of a happy coincidence that the basic premise of the game dovetails so well with Donkey Kong, still arguably Mario's most famous outing at the time. Construction theme, girders, steel drums, hammers, Mario as a working class man, etc. Bit of a happy coincidence there, really, though that could easily have played in to Miyamoto suggesting that they just make the main character Mario.

I also like that Spike isn't just strictly an evil twin like Wario is. He's the evil opposite, having a beard instead of a mustache, and being in a position of authority instead of just a working guy. He's the Scorpion, Omega Red, or Leader to Wario's Venom, Sabretooth, or Abomination.

...and now I want to go play Wrecking Crew...
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Glowsquid
post Oct 8 2014, 05:49 PM
Post #34

Boss

He's the Scorpion, Omega Red, or Leader to Wario's Venom, Sabretooth, or Abomination.

Now that's an analogy I can get behind
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
I.M.Gibbon
post Oct 8 2014, 06:37 PM
Post #35

Immortal Monkey

So, let's take a side-step for a moment.

Let's talk about Congo Bongo.

IPB Image

Congo Bongo was created by Sega as their "answer" to Donkey Kong and released in February of 1983 in Arcades across the world. It was also whored out to almost every home system available at the time. It was practically force fed to consumers at the time in an attempt to replicate the success of Donkey Kong.

Unlike titles like Crazy Kong, or Monkey Donkey, or King Kong, or or or, Congo Bongo opts not to be a reverse engineered clone and instead build upon Donkey Kong as something new and better. From a marketing perspective, it obviously didn't work, but it's interesting to see what Sega tried.

Perhaps the mistake was making the first level so evocative of Donkey Kong. Maybe if they'd shifted around the level order, and left that one till last, people wouldn't have blown it off as "just another DK clone". Either way it's a shame, as the title has its own identity and charm.

You play the role of an un-named hunter (unless his name is simply Hunter, it's never really made clear. Personally, I think he looks kind of like Sabreman, but maybe that's just me) (apparently his name is Safari Sam in some of the home-version fliers) who has fallen victim to the pranks of of the titular gorrilla Congo Bongo. You must traverse Congo's mountain home (hence the Japanese title for the game, Tip Top) and reach his "throne" in order to get some sweet sweet prank revenge.

IPB Image

There are four stages, Primate Peak, Snake Lake, Rhino Ridge, and Lazy Lagoon, that Sam must traverse in order to achieve his goals.

IPB Image

The first, Primate Peak, is the most evocative of Donkey Kong, with Sam traversing up some rocky areas, avoiding thrown coconuts and trying not to get entangled with the local monkeys, who will slow him down and impede his jumping ability until he throws them off.

IPB Image

Snake Lake is an exercise in dodging serpents and scorpions as you go across narrow walkways to continue chasing the big ape.

IPB Image

Rhino Ridge is probably the simplest and most challenging of the stages simultaniously. It''s a big open rocky plain with some pits dispersed throughout. Rhinos charge everywhere. You can avoid them by leaping over them, or hiding in the pits. Occasionally moles pop up and fill in pits. There's not really a trick to it, and I think I've lost the most lives on this level than any of the other three.

IPB Image

The final level, Lazy Lagoon, resembles isometric Frogger. You must hop across lily pads, hippos, giant fish with toothy maws, and dodge one last line of rhinos to get up to where Bongo snoozes so you can teach him what's what.

The game was included in a Sega Ages Memorial Collection released in 2005 for the PS2, though unfortunately it was Japan only. The title includes both "Classic" versions of five arcade games, as well as new "Arranged" versions which feature better graphics and more and larger levels, sometimes with new layouts. Ironically, they managed to make Sam look even more like a young Sabreman than he did before.

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

It's a shame that title has been more or less lost to time. With Sega's recent collaborations with Nintendo, it would interesting to see them revive the character for one of their crossover events, making him officially part of the DK cast instead of just the awkward cousin no one's ever heard of.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Yoshizilla-Rhedosaurus
post Oct 8 2014, 06:59 PM
Post #36

Video Game Hero

That game is definitely an odd gem I can appreciate.

Also, Safari Sam in the bottom of that flyer has dat ass. Goddamn.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Stilt Village
post Oct 8 2014, 07:27 PM
Post #37

Video Game Hero

That rhino stage was actually a really cool concept! I dunno about making him a part of the DK cast though, the series kinda has some bad blood with the name "Congo Bongo". tongue.gif
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Sun-Wukong
post Oct 8 2014, 08:00 PM
Post #38

Immortal Monkey

Congo Bongo was also included in Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection (Sega Mega Drive Ultimate Collection in the PAL region), but only the original arcade version, which is unfortunate because that one with the upgraded graphics looks nice, and it would look really nice in HD.

As for making it part of the Donkey Kong series, that'd be kind of awkward considering it's still readily available as part of that collection.
[quote name='Slush' date='Apr 15 2013, 10:10 PM' post='275494']That's like saying all black people are related. Disgusting. I had no idea MasterDS was actually MasterRaceDS.[/quote]
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
I.M.Gibbon
post Oct 8 2014, 10:12 PM
Post #39

Immortal Monkey

Apparently the collection it's in is up on PSN... in Japan. This is why we can't have nice things.

wealllose.gif

From what I've read, the Arranged version is almost the DK'94 to the original's Donkey Kong, adding in a ton more levels and putting in collectibles and bonuses.

...I may import it sometime in the near future. Time to dust off that PS2 I bought while I was in Japan I guess...
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Sun-Wukong
post Oct 8 2014, 10:21 PM
Post #40

Immortal Monkey

It would be great if they'd just release it on its own. I'd buy it.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Milo
post Oct 8 2014, 11:56 PM
Post #41

Video Game Hero

Pretty sure you can make a Japanese PSN account with no worries. Don't quote me on that though.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Slush
post Oct 9 2014, 12:29 AM
Post #42

Co-Founder/Editor-in-Chief

It's kind of striking how much of the Donkey Kong Country series would borrow from Congo Bongo. Sega's DK ripoff almost looks like the aesthetic template for the future of the series.

Hell, the bit with the hippos is very similar to DKC Barrel Maze, and of course the cartoon series would rename DK Island as Kongo Bongo.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Glowsquid
post Oct 9 2014, 05:47 AM
Post #43

Boss

QUOTE(Milo @ Oct 8 2014, 11:56 PM) *

Pretty sure you can make a Japanese PSN account with no worries. Don't quote me on that though.

Creating a Japanese PSN account is very easy, I did so myself. Hope you don't mind buying japanese PSN cards if you want to purchase anything, though.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
I.M.Gibbon
post Oct 9 2014, 06:25 PM
Post #44

Immortal Monkey

I wonder what the Sega/Nintendo rivalry would have been like had Congo Bongo been more successful. Actually, I'm rather surprised that Sega didn't revive the character in an attempt to compete after Donkey Kong Country dropped in 1994.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
I.M.Gibbon
post Oct 9 2014, 10:32 PM
Post #45

Immortal Monkey

So I suppose I should do a Pauline post.

Pauline, like Junior, is a woman of many names. She's also Nintendo's Helen, the dame that launched a thousand games. If she hadn't gotten whisked off by Donkey Kong thirty-some-odd years ago, this site probably wouldn't exist, let alone many of the games we know and love today.

IPB Image

The original video game damsel in distress first premiered in Donkey Kong for arcades, having to be rescued from the titular ape. At the time, she had no name, and was referred to simply as "The Lady" in Japanese promotional materials.

IPB Image

Interestingly enough, the concept art/sprite map for her character shows that she was intended to be a red-dressed brunette right from the start.

IPB Image

A promotional flyer for the Game & Watch Donkey Kong release reveals that she was briefly to be named "Louise", though the actual instructions for the game simply refer to her as "The Lady" or "A Pretty Girl" depending on your localization.

IPB Image

She next appeared with her main man in a hidden minigame in the NES Pinball title. Not sure why there's a breakout clone hidden away in a pinball game, but hey whatever.

IPB Image

While taking a decade-ish hiatus from video games, Pauline did appear (now actually under the name Pauline) in the Saturday Supercade cartoon show alongside Mario as they tracked down DK and had zany adventures along the way.

IPB Image

Surprisingly, she made it into the Super Mario Bros. Movie. Sort of. The above character, Daniella, is listed in the script as Daniella Pauline Verducci, though this is never mentioned in the film itself. She's Mario's girlfriend, with Peach nowhere in site (eat it, princess).

IPB Image

It would several long years since her last game appearance that she would again grace our pixalated screens, this time in the 1994 gameboy Donkey Kong title. As you can see, she's gotten a bit of a makeover to better match her original concept. It's a look she has more or less retained, with some minor tweaks here and there.

IPB Image

She would take another decade length break from the spotlight before she began to appear regularly in the Mario vs. Donkey Kong series, starting with the second installment, March of the Minis. She's described as "Mario's Friend", and appears with him frequently to promote his line of toys and get kidnapped by DK.

IPB Image

Things don't really go much different for her in Minis March Again.

IPB Image

...or in Mini-Land Mayhem, though this time DK takes her around an amusement park, the big romantic that he is. In typical fashion, Mario fucks up the date and is a huge jerk to our lovable ape.

IPB Image

She's (sort of) in Minis on the Move, though the story is so devoid that it's hard to tell what's actually going on in that game.

IPB Image

Also introduced in the MvsDK series, starting with Mini-Land Mayhem, is the Mini Pauline Doll! Ain't she a cutie?

IPB Image

Pauline recently appeared in Puzzle Swap alongside Peach, Rosalina, and Zelda in the appropriately title Nintendo Starlets puzzle. Looks like she's finally getting some of the recognition she deserves.

IPB Image

Her buxom self also made it into the latest Smash Brothers as a trophy under the DK banner.

IPB Image

She has yet to have her own official outing as a playable character, but a recent fan-mod of the original arcade game puts you in her shoes as she goes to rescue Mario from DK instead of the other way around.

For those of you looking forward to more of our awesome gal, it looks as if she and her mini dolls will be once again appearing in the next installment of the Mario vs. Donkey Kong franchise out some time next year.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Milo
post Oct 9 2014, 11:50 PM
Post #46

Video Game Hero

QUOTE(I.M.Gibbon @ Oct 10 2014, 02:32 PM) *

Pauline recently appeared in Puzzle Swap alongside Peach, Rosalina, and Zelda in the appropriately title Nintendo Starlets puzzle. Looks like she's finally getting some of the recognition she deserves.

There's always dissonance for me when talking about this: on PAL 3DSs, that puzzle is called "Nintendo Heroines". Which is pretty much false for almost all of the featured women.

EDIT: Although calling Toon Zelda a "Starlet" is also a little... problematic, maybe?
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
I.M.Gibbon
post Oct 10 2014, 10:24 AM
Post #47

Immortal Monkey

Is there some use of Starlet to mean something other than "Female Star" that I am unaware of?

Also, seriously, when is Pauline going to get to do something other than be a damsel? Hell, even Peach got a protagonist role on her third outing, and has many many other playable roles over the years in addition to her own title. Pauline? Nothing.

Not that I have any idea what a Pauline title would even look like. For some reason I'm imagining something like Wario's Woods where you play as the Minis from MvsDK with Pauline up in the corner where Birdo usually is.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Scraps69
post Oct 10 2014, 03:45 PM
Post #48

IRON FINGER

I'm definitely appreciating some 'Expanded Arcade Era' on Rule 34 eh lads?

IPB Image

IPB Image
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Yoshizilla-Rhedosaurus
post Oct 10 2014, 04:48 PM
Post #49

Video Game Hero

The Donkey Kong censors on Palutine are the funniest thing I've seen this night. Good on you, Scraps.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
I.M.Gibbon
post Oct 10 2014, 05:14 PM
Post #50

Immortal Monkey

Hahah nice. Way to ruin a perfectly good picture with a face fit to give nightmares. tongue.gif

I'll be interested to see Pauline's roll in the next installment in the Mario vs. Donkey Kong franchise. Given it being a console release and (I'm told) fairly sizable and packed full of content, I wonder if it would be a stretch to expect a bit more to the story than another repeat of the "Donkey Kong snatches Pauline, Mario goes off to rescue" standard.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

12 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Start new topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd October 2017 - 08:25 PM
Banana Coins don't grow on trees! Please help keep this site running.
DK Vine Forums