Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

12 Pages V « < 2 3 4 5 6 > »   
Start new topicStart new topic
> The Expanded Arcade Era appreciation & discussion thread, for Arcade Era DK and its non-DKC continuations
Sun-Wukong
post Oct 23 2014, 11:35 PM
Post #151

Immortal Monkey

Foreman Spike for DLC!
[quote name='Slush' date='Apr 15 2013, 10:10 PM' post='275494']That's like saying all black people are related. Disgusting. I had no idea MasterDS was actually MasterRaceDS.[/quote]
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
I.M.Gibbon
post Oct 24 2014, 09:28 AM
Post #152

Immortal Monkey

Haha now wouldn't that be something!

Foreman Spike Wrecks the Competition!
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Sun-Wukong
post Oct 24 2014, 10:01 AM
Post #153

Immortal Monkey

With Waluigi as an alternate costume, perhaps?
[quote name='Slush' date='Apr 15 2013, 10:10 PM' post='275494']That's like saying all black people are related. Disgusting. I had no idea MasterDS was actually MasterRaceDS.[/quote]
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
I.M.Gibbon
post Oct 24 2014, 10:06 AM
Post #154

Immortal Monkey

A named alt, like Alph or the Koopa Kids. That would be delicious haha. thefuturessobright.gif
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Man-Frog
post Oct 24 2014, 10:14 AM
Post #155

Immortal Monkey

But their physiques are nothing alike. Unless you want Waluigi to suffer the same fate as poor Iggy.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
I.M.Gibbon
post Oct 24 2014, 10:17 AM
Post #156

Immortal Monkey

Spike's been redesigned every time he's shown up in a new title, I'm sure they wouldn't miss the opportunity to do so again in Smash.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
JordanFreeman
post Oct 24 2014, 10:18 AM
Post #157

Video Game Hero

I think Roy suffers more from the base model than Iggy, to be honest.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Man-Frog
post Oct 24 2014, 10:21 AM
Post #158

Immortal Monkey

First of all, I do not wanna see a version of Foreman Spike that looks all lanky like Waluigi. People will call him a palette swap of a palette swap. Do you really want that?

Second, what's wrong with Roy's model? He looks exactly the same as Morton, and both of them just look like slightly chunkier versions of Bowser Jr. Iggy on the other hand is considerably taller than the rest of the Koopalings and as such they clearly had to scrunch his model down to fit Bowser Jr.'s frame. Since they retained his thinness, he looks terribly malnourished.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Sun-Wukong
post Oct 24 2014, 10:25 AM
Post #159

Immortal Monkey

It would be as easy as making Spike really beefy and giving Waluigi the same basic proportions, only skinnier.

Or just make them separate characters with unique movesets. I'd much rather have that.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Man-Frog
post Oct 24 2014, 10:28 AM
Post #160

Immortal Monkey

Neither of them will be playable anyway.

A proper Foreman Spike Assist Trophy or stage hazard would be pretty spiffy, though.

While we're at it, I was looking at the manual and on the page where it lists the characters, the word "Foreman" appears where "Players" or "Monsters" appear for Mario, Luigi and the enemies. Could it be that his name is really just "Spike" and we've been erroneously including the word "Foreman" as part of his name all these years? What does the Japanese manual say in this spot, I wonder?
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Sun-Wukong
post Oct 24 2014, 10:34 AM
Post #161

Immortal Monkey

Well obviously his first name isn't "Foreman." That would be like if Mario's name was "Plumber Mario."

Dr. Mario being the logical exception, of course.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
I.M.Gibbon
post Oct 24 2014, 10:54 AM
Post #162

Immortal Monkey

Actually, has Spike actually been name-checked in English outside of the Wrecking Crew manual? None of his subsequent appearances were localized, and the Virtual Console description just talks about "an angry foreman".
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Man-Frog
post Oct 24 2014, 11:12 AM
Post #163

Immortal Monkey

What do you mean by that? As far as I know, the original Wrecking Crew is the only time he's ever been named. Unless some Smash Bros. trophy refers to him by name, but that will have to be dug up.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
I.M.Gibbon
post Oct 24 2014, 11:03 PM
Post #164

Immortal Monkey

So, Let's talk about the man ape himself.

--PART ONE: HOW HIGH CAN YOU GET?--

IPB Image

Yeah. Donkey Kong. Senior, that is. The original, you might say!

IPB Image

First appearing on the scene in 1981 with Pauline under arm and flinging barrels at Mario, our beloved ape was an instant star. Hell, that damn game was named after him. He spawned not just one franchise, but a whole family of them, as well as a video game juggernaut.

Obviously, he's a hell of a guy.

IPB Image

Donkey Kong Sr spent his formative year or so slinging barrels across a variety of systems across arcades, home consoles, and even a few portable devices. He was Kong of the mountain, at least for a little while.

IPB Image

And then He let his guard down.

IPB Image

In 1982, Mario finally caught up with him, locking him up and throwing away the key. Sr was relegated to the role of damsel ape in distress a cage and it was up to Jr to save the day.

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

Senior would be Mario's constant prisoner for much of the next year, again across various versions arcade, console, and handheld.

IPB Image

After finally being rescued and reunited with his son, Sr went off to harass a fumigator in 1983's Donkey Kong 3.

IPB Image

Taking only a brief brake to school his kid a bit...

IPB Image

Sr spent much of the year and part of the next sicking bees on poor Stanley before his eventual defeat. The environment never fully recovered from Sr's failure to stop the spread of Stanley's monstrous plants.

IPB Image

Sr briefly returned to his circus roots in 1984, but rightly got tired of putting up with Mario's shit...

IPB Image

This time opting to settle the matter like men apes, in a game of hockey.

Done with Games for the time being, Sr continued to bumm around the world in cartoon form, first in the above seen Saturday Supercade...

...and then later as an occasion guest villain star in Captain N as the roaring 80's drew to a close.

--PART TWO: HOW TO DRESS FOR SUCCESS--

IPB Image

Donkey Kong Senior exploded back onto the video game scene after his stint in show biz with 1994's Donkey Kong for the (Super) Game Boy. And this time, he'd done something with his hair on put on a tie!

IPB Image

Ostensibly a remake of the original, the game contains a full eight sets of levels beyond the classic four, and each world is roughly double or triple the size of the original game! Hot Damn. While the game is new and hugely expanded, Sr stuck to what he knows best, running of with Pauline and hurling barrel after plucked-from-hammerspace barrel at the little Italian fellow.

IPB Image

Unfortunately for Sr, this was more Jr's time to shine. While the (not so) little guy with the J jumpsuit went to cameo in a host of Mario titles, Sr in his new duds and do appeared only a handful of times.

IPB Image

He was in Game & Watch Gallery 2, re-enacting his glory days with Mario and Jr...

IPB Image

...spent time behind bars letting Jr have his fun in Game & Watch Gallery 3...

IPB Image

...and continued doing much of the same in the meta-series' fourth iteration.

For all his rebranding, the big galumph really only got the one shot to strut his stuff again one last time...

or did he?

--PART THREE: GET THE FUCK OFF MY LAWN!--

IPB Image

In Donkey Kong Country, we learn that our heroic hero is now an old'un, going by the moniker Cranky Kong, Jr having inherited the tie and dropping the suffix. Our boy Cranky tells it like it is, letting DK know he could do it better and demonstrating he already knows everything worth knowing by giving his progeny advice on damn near everything in the game.

IPB Image

In DKC2 Cranky did much of the same, except this time he realized he could charge for his help, and started raking in the coin as Diddy and Dixie came crying to him for help over and over and over again (honestly he should have just taken out the pirates himself, but how would the younger generation learn anything that way?)

IPB Image

In DKC3 we see Cranky retraining his famous arm at Swanky's Sideshow, once again showing those whippersnappers how it's done.

IPB Image

And in the GBA remake, he's even opened a dojo! He's obviously trying to regain some of that upper body strength from his youth.

IPB Image

For a brief while, the Kongs took a break from games. Cranky returned to the small screen where he co-starred in the Donkey Kong Country animated show for a few years.

IPB Image

After his brief return to stardom, Cranky started futzing around with chemicals, cooking up all sorts of strange concoctions in his lab. Oh and there was some bullshit with Jr and his bananas, but Cranky's potions soon sorted the whole problem out.

IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Image

During the Paon years, Cranky took on a variety of roles, from Bongo performer, to old sage, to being really good at rocket barrel racing (who knew?)

IPB Image

In 2010's Donkey Kong Country Returns, Cranky amped up the potion lab and expanded his wares, once again raking in the big bucks while the younger generation ran around making fools of themselves and buying keys off of him.

IPB Image

Most recently, Cranky had to prove the old adage of "If you want something done right, you've got to do it yourself." as he dusted himself off and starred in the latest addition to the Donkey Kong Country Series, caring not for pitiful jump heights or dangerous spikes and just generally taking to task the vikings who thought they could get away with rousting the retired champ from his rocking chair.

I really can't wait to see what he does next.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
I.M.Gibbon
post Oct 25 2014, 10:29 PM
Post #165

Immortal Monkey

I just love how much discussion that last post garnered. Well rounded, nice debate, and I loved the bit about the flying hippos! Truly poetic.

Anyway.

A little out of the purview of this, but I was browsing old Rare/preRare stuff because of the Rattle 'n' Roll thread and came across videos of Sabrewulf for the ZX Spectrum. I have no idea what's going on, but it's a very beautiful game in its own way.

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Sun-Wukong
post Oct 25 2014, 11:11 PM
Post #166

Immortal Monkey

QUOTE(I.M.Gibbon @ Oct 25 2014, 01:03 AM) *
And then He let his guard down.
Well, he is the king of kings.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
I.M.Gibbon
post Oct 26 2014, 11:10 AM
Post #167

Immortal Monkey

And the Monkey King, and the Jungle King. But is he the King of Kong? (No, that's someone else hehe)
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Milo
post Oct 27 2014, 03:38 AM
Post #168

Video Game Hero

Yeah, Steve Wiebe. Although now it's that surgeon guy, I think... Maybe you should do a post about that? Nah, it might be too dry. The movie is sure exciting, but it does play around with the facts a little to tell a better story.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
I.M.Gibbon
post Oct 27 2014, 09:10 AM
Post #169

Immortal Monkey

Yeah, don't bring up that movie on the donkeykongforums. They'll talk your ear off for ages about what the movie got wrong. I enjoyed it though.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
I.M.Gibbon
post Oct 27 2014, 11:53 AM
Post #170

Immortal Monkey

Actually, looking back at it, it's obvious that Cranky's been slowly training himself back up for field work, so to speak. He's primarily chair-bound in DKC, though he does hobble over in the ending of the GBA version. In two he's up and about, though on two canes. In 3 he's practicing his throwing (and is quite spry) and is working a goddamn martial arts dojo in 3GBA. In 64 he's experimenting with steroids "potions" that grant increased strength and special abilities.

During the Paon era we don't see him do much but he's out and about and keeping up with everybody else, and has some of the best stats in Barrel Blast.

In Returns/3D he appears to have perfected his steroid regimen "banana juice" and in Tropical Freeze he brings the pain. Yeah.

I so want him to get his own game, Duck Tales Remastered style.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
I.M.Gibbon
post Oct 28 2014, 09:29 PM
Post #171

Immortal Monkey

Quick note, I've got a lot of interviews this week, and as I try to be fairly comprehensive in my big posts they're probably not going to be as frequent for a bit.

If anyone has any topic requests I shall do my best to get to them in a timely fashion though.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
I.M.Gibbon
post Oct 31 2014, 11:39 AM
Post #172

Immortal Monkey

IPB Image

So. Mario vs. Donkey Kong.

IPB ImageIPB Image

This is a title that started out as Donkey Kong Plus, a remake/enhanced port of Donkey Kong for the gameboy, itself a remake/enhanced port of Donkey Kong for the arcades. I'm beginning to see a pattern here.

IPB ImageIPB Image

As you can see, it was a much more straightforward remake, the main divergence being the inclusion of a custom level editor (seen above) in which you could make your own levels to share with your friends via link cable. This feature, alas, did not actually make it into the final release, though the level editor mode is fairly functional if accessed via various cheat or debug methods.

It is my understanding that there may have also been some special Gameboy Player support, similar to how the previous DOnkey Kong title in 1994 had special support for the Super Gameboy.

IPB Image

After its initial announcement, the game pretty much vanished from the news until it was reannounced a couple years later as Mario vs. Donkey Kong.

IPB Image
IPB Image

No longer a port, the game was now more a sequel. Instead of utilizing the same temporarily placeble bridges and platforms mechanics of the original, Mario vs. Donkey Kong instead opted for a system of red/blue/yellow switches to control which parts of the level were accesible, activated, or tangible. There was also an added element of leading around wind-up toys in a hybrid of lemmings style gameplay with more traditional Mario style platforming.

IPB ImageIPB Image

The story was also changed. Pauline was nowhere to be found (though she'd reappear in sequels), and instead Donkey Kong had swiped all of the aforementioned toys from Mario's factory, Mario giving chase in an effort to recover the stolen goods. Somewhat ironically (though probably less so round these parts), Mario comes off looking a bit of an asshole more often than not in this series, as the plot can often be boiled down to "DK wants a toy. Mario tells him to sod off. DK throws a tantrum. Mario chases him around for between 8 and 16 worlds worth of levels before finally giving him the damn toy he was perfectly willing to gain through legal means in the first place."

IPB Image
IPB Image

The title holds the distinction of being the first Donkey Kong title produced in-house by Nintendo themselves after Rare's parting, and it shows in its self many attempts to appeal to both fans of Rare's Donkey Kong Countries as well as fans of the classic Arcade style titles. While its primary influence is most obviously Donkey Kong, both '81 and '94, it opts instead of sprites for pre-rendered graphics like Rare's titles, and features some music remixes of their music, as well as a few nods and winks for the fans, such as the "Ram Ram" rhinoceros enemy.

IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Image

All in all, a nice little title. It's sequels would controversally drop the platforming aspect in favor of the more lemmings style of game, though still managing to work in Donkey Kong chucking down barrels at you and defeating enemies with hammers.

I think I'll close out with this, some nice little art of Mario wondering what the hell he's going to do next, the ape-ist jerk.

IPB Image
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
I.M.Gibbon
post Nov 3 2014, 12:04 PM
Post #173

Immortal Monkey

So this time I'm going to cover the three of the major weird Arcade Donkey Kong re-imaginings and re-workings that have popped up over the years.

IPB Image

Tetris DS - Donkey Kong Push

IPB Image

In mid 2006, Tetris DS came out. As I understand it, the Tetris community really keeps track of the various editions of Tetris and what additions/tweaks are made to the formula, rarely caring about the trappings and window dressing. For Nintendo fans however, this one was really nice, because not only did it feature the classic Tetris with retro sprites of the big Nintendo franchises running around, it also featured a number of bonus modes based on said franchises. Among them was, of course, a Donkey Kong mode (which didn't actually have Sr present in it, though he pops up elsewhere in the game) called Push.

The mode was a bit of an odd one. It could be played solo against a CPU, or over ad-hoc / wifi with another real person. I'm just going to swipe the Mario Wiki description of the mode, since they already went through the trouble of coming up with a concise description:

"Push Mode was designed for players who wanted a more competitive way to play than just comparing scores. Players are virtually seated across from each other, with a pile of blocks in the center. The Tetriminos are like missiles in this mode and can be sent by the player just as quickly as he or she can play the game. If one clears a row, the mass moves toward his or her opponent, decreasing the opponent’s play area and increasing the player's. When one player has pushed the pile out of the screen towards their opponent, he or she wins.

The mode is decorated by a Donkey Kong inspired environment. Although Pauline and Donkey Kong are not seen, Jumpman walks around the girders on the top screen, dodging barrels and using the ladders. Jumpman's Hammer and Pauline's Parasol are located to the left of the playing field. Also, as ones play field grows smaller, fire erumpts from the oil drum at the bottom of the screen. In the original game, barrels burned up when they hit this fire. The classic Donkey Kong beeps play in the background. It speeds up as the blocks near one of the edges."

IPB Image

DSi Metronome - Donkey Kong Metronome

IPB Image

In latish 2009, Nintendo released another little app, as they were wont to do, on the DSi store. They'd released calculators, clocks, and other little fobs, sometimes skinned with Nintendo characters and sometimes not. This time it was a metronome app, which is kind of neat. What they didn't really do a good job of advertising was that the DSi Metronome had a Donkey Kong game hidden within!

It's pretty straightforward. You clap into the mic to cause Jumpman to, er, jump, thus avoiding Donkey Kong's oncoming barrels. It's a strange footnote to send off the Bongos Era of rhythm based DK games.

There's not really much more to it than that.

IPB Image

Nintendo Land - Donkey Kong's Crash Course

IPB Image

In really late 2012, Nintendo launched the Nintendo Wii. With the shiny black edition of the console was bundled a copy of Nintendo Land, though it could be bought separately as well. In effect this console's version of Wii Sports, this title eschewed athletics to instead be a Ninteno franchise themed amusement park, having various minigames based on Nintendo properties both new and old, as well as importing Smash Bros trophy collecting. It's really quite fun. One of said "attractions" is Donkey Kong's Crash Course!

The above video is only of the first board (there are three more), but as you can see that the basic conceit is one of "what if Donkey Kong was a physical arcade game instead of a video arcade game?" It would be interesting to see if I could sit down with a bunch of erector set kits and kinex scraps and put a rough aproximation of this thing together.

Anyway, you play as a mii in a delicate glass bubble with some wheels and a weak shock absorber. You have to tilt the game pad to get this "Rollman" (he can't jump! haha!) around the board, occasionally needing to tap shoulder buttons to mimic pinball bumpers or blow in the mic to wind various mechanisms on the virtual physical machine.

It's quite entertaining, and I've spent way to much time trying to speed through it.

Anyway, that's it for today. I may go over some of the physical board and party games that have featured the Arcade Donkey Kong label over the years next unless someone has anything else they want to see.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Man-Frog
post Nov 3 2014, 01:32 PM
Post #174

Immortal Monkey

QUOTE(Mario Wiki @ Nov 3 2014, 01:04 PM) *
Push Mode was designed for players who wanted a more competitive way to play than just comparing scores. Players are virtually seated across from each other, with a pile of blocks in the center. The Tetriminos are like missiles in this mode and can be sent by the player just as quickly as he or she can play the game. If one clears a row, the mass moves toward his or her opponent, decreasing the opponent’s play area and increasing the player's. When one player has pushed the pile out of the screen towards their opponent, he or she wins.

The mode is decorated by a Donkey Kong inspired environment. Although Pauline and Donkey Kong are not seen, Jumpman walks around the girders on the top screen, dodging barrels and using the ladders. Jumpman's Hammer and Pauline's Parasol are located to the left of the playing field. Also, as ones play field grows smaller, fire erumpts from the oil drum at the bottom of the screen. In the original game, barrels burned up when they hit this fire. The classic Donkey Kong beeps play in the background. It speeds up as the blocks near one of the edges.
Jesus Christ that was painful to read. What definition of "concise" are you going by?

QUOTE(Hard Drop @ Nov 3 2014, 01:04 PM) *
Push mode starts with two blocks near the center of a playfield roughly twice as tall as the standard playfield. Tetrominoes drop in opposite directions for the two players. Dropping a tetromino past the mass of blocks causes it to disappear. When a player completes more than one line at once, all blocks in the playfield move a number of lines toward the other player's side. Once one block is placed or pushed off a player's end of the playfield, the player loses.

In push mode, it is possible for a game to be drawn by clearing all blocks from the playfield, although the program is incapable of recognizing a drawn game, and the first player to disconnect will lose.
Hard Drop said it much better. Then you could've easily described the DK references in the background yourself. Like say:

"DK and Pauline aren't present, but Mario walks around and dodges barrels on the top screen. You can also see a hammer and a parasol off to the left side of the field. When one player is in danger of losing, the fire from the oil drum on their screen flares up. The BGM is a rearrangement of the original DK theme, and Mario's "death" sound effect plays whenever a player makes a line clear."

And people wonder why I despise Mario Wiki so much.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Milo
post Nov 3 2014, 04:31 PM
Post #175

Video Game Hero

Another reason Mario Wiki can't be trusted: Sr and Pauline are actually in that mode, contrary to their description and your comments. You can even see them in the video you posted. As the screen gets pushed up, you see them up the top of the lane. I remember looking for a picture that showed them while researching my Honourable Mentions.

Small nitpick: you said the Wii was released when you meant the Wii U.

Enough criticisms though, the connection you've drawn between these three is apt. I also love how you've noted that the DSi metronome is the last little instalment in a DK rhythm tradition, which would have also included that unreleased NES game. Nice post overall.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
I.M.Gibbon
post Nov 3 2014, 06:22 PM
Post #176

Immortal Monkey

So you can! I find it a bit odd that you can only see DK and Pauline when you're losing, though. Weird. And I did indeed mean the Wii U, not the Wii. Thanks for pointing out the mistakes!

People interested in more of this sort of thing for the broader DKU in general should go check out Milo's excellent DKU Honourable Mentions thread in General DKU Discussion!
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Milo
post Nov 3 2014, 09:14 PM
Post #177

Video Game Hero

Now you've done it. I guess I'll go post another entry in there then!
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Clutch
post Nov 3 2014, 10:10 PM
Post #178

Staff Member

QUOTE(I.M.Gibbon @ Oct 31 2014, 12:39 PM) *

...many attempts to appeal to both fans of Rare's Donkey Kong Countries....features some music remixes of their music...

I won't start a "thing" over that first part, but...were there any remixes of Rare's music in the first game? There's a DK Island Swing remix in March of the Minis, but as I recall from the first game the only re-used Donkey Kong tunes were the various fanfare jingles from the original Arcade and NES game.

They do, however, re-use Grant Kirkhope's voice files from DK64 (coupled with various grunts from games like Smash Bros)...which seems like another addition to the "DK is the victim, Mario is a jerkface" pile. No matter how much selective editing the game does, Grant's Donkey Kong really doesn't sound like a villain, or even a misguided fool.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
I.M.Gibbon
post Nov 3 2014, 11:11 PM
Post #179

Immortal Monkey

Ah, sorry, was misremembering then. It's actually been awhile since I played the original, and I just assumed since there's remixes in some of the others.

Good point about the voice clips though.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Sean
post Nov 3 2014, 11:45 PM
Post #180

Immortal Monkey

Mario vs DKs March of the Minis, Mini-Land Mayhem and Minis on the Move all have a DK Island Swing remix to them. It manages to sound exactly the same despite seven years across all three. I know this for Reasons.

That Tetris DS mode actually looks pretty fun. I wanted to get that game but never got around to it; even finding it for ten bucks in a pawn shop a few years ago, I didn't feel like actually putting the money down for it. My loss, apparently.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
M-Dog1000000
post Nov 4 2014, 12:48 AM
Post #181

Lord of Games

You sure did miss out. Tetris DS is one of the best Tetris games I ever played, the multiplayer is also pretty fantastic, eight players at once with Mario Kart items. Really fun stuff. And yeah, push mode is fantastic, also great for multiplayer. I'd say it's still worth picking up, it's perfectly functional on a 3DS after all.

And nice work, Gibbon.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Pine
post Nov 12 2014, 07:14 PM
Post #182

Video Game Hero

You know who else appreciates Donkey Kong Arcade? Captain Toad! (Warning: SPOILERS)
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
I.M.Gibbon
post Nov 19 2014, 01:22 PM
Post #183

Immortal Monkey

I'm back again! (and about time too!)

Was just on a week-long business trip/interview which resulted in me being turned down for a new programming gig for something like the hundredth time in the last 8 months. Oh well. Back to DK Vine I go!

QUOTE(Pine @ Nov 12 2014, 05:14 PM) *

You know who else appreciates Donkey Kong Arcade? Captain Toad! (Warning: SPOILERS)

Haha excellent! A little disappointed there wasn't a big ape waiting for him at the top, but I'll take what I can get!

approve.gif

So, let's get this show back on the road. Any topics people want to see covered?
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
I.M.Gibbon
post Nov 21 2014, 09:07 PM
Post #184

Immortal Monkey

Actually, I wonder about the similarities between "Wingo" and the giant condor of Ice Climber infamy...

And, of course, the pick-axe functions like Mario's classic Hammer, right down to the music!
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
I.M.Gibbon
post Nov 23 2014, 01:43 PM
Post #185

Immortal Monkey

So I'm going to go a little off track and talk about a different series for a moment.

IPB Image

The Crazy Climber series predates Donkey Kong by about a year, coming out in 1980. You played as a guy scaling the outside of a skyscraper, controlling each arm separately and avoiding obstacles. Things to look out for include, among other things, a giant condor (something Nintendo kept for their own ice climber game later) that drops eggs (and shit) on you and Kong, a gorilla that stomps around and hurls down girders and dumbbells your way.

Wait. That sounds familiar.

IPB Image

Hmm.

Anyway.

The graphics haven't aged well, but it's got a certain quaintness to it. Incidentally, Crazy Climber served as the base code for the Reverse-engineered DK Arcade rippoff competitor Crazy Kong, hence the name. One could probably make a case for them being the same gorilla, but whatever.

In 1988, they decided to dust off the IP and release Crazy Climber 2.

IPB Image

It was much the same gameplay as before, the only major improvement being the graphics. And the billboards.

IPB ImageIPB Image

There are a few new obstacles about, like construction cranes, as well as beneficial stuff, like ducking into windows to make out with random women for bonus points (I'm serious).

Unfortunately, the game only ever hit Japanese arcades.

IPB Image

In 1996, Hyper Crazy Climber was released on the PS1. In addition to the classic skyscraper, Kong now sporting boxing gloves, there's also other things round the world to climb, like ancient temples and beanstalks.

This game is a bit more out there than its predecesors, featuring elves and man-eating plants and such. Hard to find, hard to play. Apparently it's on the PS3 eshop, but I'm not sure what regions.

IPB Image

In, er, 2000, they released Crazy Climber 2000.

More in line with the originals, this was in 3D, and made use of the new tech by allowing you to more on to the other sides of the buildings, wrapping around the whole thing. Other than that, they really didn't add a whole lot to the formula.

Also, it's rather hideous.

IPB Image

2007 saw the most recent entry in the series, Crazy Climber Wii, which took a more anime approach to the franchise.

Again, they really haven't done much with the formula beyond updating the look of the thing. They even removed the unique hand by hand control scheme.

Anyway, thus is the life of a franchise that arguably had some early influence on the Donkey Kong Arcade series, but then failed to really do anything interesting with itself or evolve in any way.

As always, comments, feedback, suggestions, etc are welcome.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Milo
post Nov 24 2014, 01:30 AM
Post #186

Video Game Hero

Although it didn't evolve much, I find it fascinating to see what could have been a historic footnote continue to release sequels and try to update itself to the times. I kept scrolling down on your post and being surprised that there was another game after that.

That billboard is funny. "Anerican Girl". A beauty aid for skin of bust and body. Crazy Climber 2 seems pretty sexist overall.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
I.M.Gibbon
post Nov 24 2014, 10:25 AM
Post #187

Immortal Monkey

Yeah it seems clear to me that the early Crazy Climbers, mainly 1 & 2, had some influence on the DK games, namely the original and DK'94, but still, you can kind of see it.

But yeah, Crazy Climber just kept putting out new versions of the same thing, the main difference each time being the window dressing, and never really innovated or changed things up at all. Even though the last game came out in 2007, the series as a whole is still pretty much, as you say, a "historic footnote".
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
I.M.Gibbon
post Nov 25 2014, 11:28 AM
Post #188

Immortal Monkey

Let's take a look at non-digital DK games for a moment. (And in reverse release order, just to change things up a bit)

IPB Image

The imaginatively titled Jenga: Donkey Kong Collector's Edition came out in 2008. It is, at first glance, just jenga with the blocks painted up to look like girders, but there's a bit more to it than that.

Included in the box are some little plastic figurines:

IPB Image

And a spinner:

IPB Image

Utilizing these opens up a new play mode for your DK Jenga needs. You pick your color of Jumpman, insert his little peg into a girder at the bottom of the stack, and spin the spinner to determine what you get to do on your turn, allowing you to remove girders in typical jenga fashion and progress up the construction zone towards the top, where DK waits with Pauline.

It's a fun little twist on Jenga and a nice physical party game adaption of Donkey Kong. Not bad really. I have two of them for some reason (I'm not sure where the second one came from).

A bit further back, in 1983, Donkey Kong Card Game was released.

IPB Image

The game comes not with just cards, but also with a multitude of other little plastic game pieces of girders, Jumpmen, and, of course, Donkey Kong.

I don't actually have a copy of this one, so here's the description from BoardGameGeek:
QUOTE(boardgamegeek)
Players place ladder and girder cards in a particular pattern on the playing field starting from a girder strip to build a high-rise structure up to Donkey Kong who sits on his cardboard throne. Each time a card is played, the player moves their respective Mario pawn by die count up the card structure.

In addition to the plain ladder and girder cards are obstacle and remedy cards that are self-explanatory. If you're the first player to move your pawn up, above the highest girder where Donkey Kong sits, then you'll capture Donkey Kong and win the game. Oh joy!

Sounds a bit like Dominoes, actually. Maybe they should come out with Domino: Donkey Kong Collector's Edition?

Going even (okay only a little) further back, we come to 1982 and the release of Donkey Kong, an out and out board game this time.

IPB Image

"Based on the Mario Brothers Donkey Kong video game, Save the girl, avoid the barrels, same as the video game. Can you battle Donkey Kong and save the fair maiden?"

IPB Image

From what I can gather, it's a bit like snakes and ladders, with players drawing cards to tell them how far they can move and attack, with barrel pieces being moved down the board a number of spaces determined by die roll and players trying to reach Pauline and DK at the top.

IPB ImageIPB Image

The DK Dice and Figurine (with barrel throwing action!)

IPB ImageIPB Image

Mario(s) doing his best impression of a sassy black woman.

Finally, just because of its importance and legacy, 1965 saw the release of Barrel of Monkeys.

IPB Image

From the instruction manual:
Dump monkeys onto table. Pick up one monkey by an arm. Hook other arm through a second monkey's arm. Continue making a chain. Your turn is over when a monkey is dropped.

Arguably, the game that started it all.

And that's all for this post. If there's any Arcade-based physical DK games I missed, let me know! I'm always on the lookout for more stuff!
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Sun-Wukong
post Nov 25 2014, 12:38 PM
Post #189

Immortal Monkey

I have a green little Diddy in the style of a Barrel of Monkeys monkey. I should take a picture.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Stilt Village
post Nov 25 2014, 12:49 PM
Post #190

Video Game Hero

Turning Donkey Kong into something Snakes and Ladders-esque is pretty clever, it fits perfectly with the climbing focus and the iconic first stage's layout. I'm guessing the barrels knock you down like snakes? ...That is how Snakes and Ladders works, isn't it?
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
I.M.Gibbon
post Nov 25 2014, 01:08 PM
Post #191

Immortal Monkey

I think so, yeah, from what I can recall.

I now kind of want a Domino DK game, based off of what I could find of that card game.

And, for the love of god, why isn't there some sort of Donkey Kong pinball machine?

I found this thing:
IPB Image

and of course there's the DKC plastic pinball board game thingy, but I mean, really, an actual in-an-arcade pinball machine.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Reed
post Nov 25 2014, 01:39 PM
Post #192

Kong Family Helper

Whoa, for some reason I never really thought about there being physical games based on Donkey Kong from when it was new. Crazy Climber is also a series I've never even heard of, and I got progressively more surprised as your post revealed far more entries (and more recent ones) than I would have expected.

You continue to amaze and impress.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
I.M.Gibbon
post Nov 25 2014, 02:04 PM
Post #193

Immortal Monkey

There's actually a fair number of DKC-themed board games as well. I won't be covering them in this topic, but perhaps Milo will in the honourable mentions thread?
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Milo
post Nov 25 2014, 02:47 PM
Post #194

Video Game Hero

That's not really my bag, I'm covering video games first and foremost. Plus I don't know of any right now, so it would have to be all research and I'd most likely miss something.

Excellent post, the perfect subject to look at. Really interesting the kinds of merchandise they got out of it, all seem to be cool twists on existing games. Whenever I try to search for the Japanese DKCTV/DK64 trading card game, I always get results for that "Donkey Kong Card Game", heh.

If you're taking requests for topics, I'd like to hear your thoughts about the WarioWare microgames based on DK Arcade (and Mario Bros. if you like).
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
I.M.Gibbon
post Nov 29 2014, 11:30 AM
Post #195

Immortal Monkey

QUOTE(Milo @ Nov 25 2014, 12:47 PM) *
If you're taking requests for topics, I'd like to hear your thoughts about the WarioWare microgames based on DK Arcade (and Mario Bros. if you like).

Just wanted to pop in and say that I'm not ignoring this, it's just a holiday weekend and I don't have as much time to devote to mega posts. This will definitely be the topic I do next when things settle down next week.

For the time being, I'll leave you all with a video of Nuts & Milk, a 1984 Hudson Soft NES game that plays like a cross between Donkey Kong & Mario Bros, complete with some sprites, items, and HUD elements they didn't even bother to change! I'm tempted to do a sprite hack to make it the DK game it so very clearly wants to be.

Hell, I wouldn't even need to change that many sprites...
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Jeff
post Nov 29 2014, 12:04 PM
Post #196

DKVinecraft Admin

A topic request for sometime down the line: What with the newest game being out, how about a look back at the Expanded Arcade Era's representation across the Smash Bros series? Ever since melee there's been some pretty substantial retro elements in play.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
I.M.Gibbon
post Dec 2 2014, 03:29 PM
Post #197

Immortal Monkey

Oh, also a good topic Jeff, I'll do that one after this.

So, Microgames. Oy. There's a ton of these. Fair warning, I may miss a few.

WarioWare, Inc.: Mega Microgame$! & WarioWare, Inc.: Mega Party Game$!

This is the first title of the series, and lays down the basics of the formula.

IPB Image

In the Donkey Kong microgame, you control Mario and just jump over a number of barrels corresponding to the difficulty setting.

IPB Image

There's also an Ice Climber game, where you try to grab onto the Condor.

WarioWare: Twisted!

This game had a built in gyroscope, and most of the microgames centered on tilting the system to produce varying effects. There's a lot more EAE (Expanded Arcade Era) games in this one.

IPB Image

There's the Mario Bros microgame where you need to flip the Shellcreeper back over before the brothers Mario vicuosly murder it.

IPB Image

There's the Wrecking Crew microgame where you spin around from a top-down perspective bopping oncoming Eggplant Men.

IPB Image

There's the Donkey Kong Jr. game where you play as Junior, avoiding enemies and freeing your Papa.

IPB Image

This title's Ice Climber game requires you to tilt left or right to bop oncoming enemies of various size and speeds.

IPB Image

The Donkey Kong 3 game sees Stanley bug spraying Donkey Kong Sr to get him to retreat enough that he gets his head stuck in the beehive.

WarioWare: Touched!

This was the first title on the DS, and made use of the mic and touch screen the system provided.

IPB Image

8-Bit Hero is a strange little game where you have to point out the different pixels between the two screens, being treated to a scene of the game the enlarged sprite is from. Barely EAE, but features Ice Climber sprites on harder difficulties.

IPB Image

The Donkey Kong 3 game deprives Stanley of his bug sprayer and instead relies on the power of your mighty lungs to drive Donkey Kong upwards to his doom.

WarioWare: D.I.Y. & WarioWare: D.I.Y. Showcase

The next DS title, this game featured, in addition to a host of premade games, a microgame builder and game sharing system of some sort that I never really got into because college.

IPB Image

Among the premade games was an Ice Climber game, you make Popo jump to destroy the ceiling about his head and grab the eggplant.

IPB Image

There's also a Greenhouse game, in which the player moves Stanley around the greenhouse to defend his flowers.

IPB Image

DK 3 features, as always, Stanley driving Donkey Kong up into the beehive.

IPB Image

Donkey Kong changes things up a little from the usual formula by requiring the player to tap on barrels to destroy them, as Mario can't be arsed to jump over them this time around.

IPB Image

Wreck. Crew (what is it with them truncating the names in this one?) has the player tapping on things to destroy them as Mario is apparently on a break and took his hammer with him.

IPB Image

Finally, Mario Bros has Mario jumping to defeat enemies from beneath.

I think that's everything. Please let me know if I missed anything.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
I.M.Gibbon
post Dec 13 2014, 09:48 PM
Post #198

Immortal Monkey

Hey all, just wanted to say that this thread has not been abandoned, and that I've just been busy in real life and haven't had the energy to sit down and do large info posts. I'll be sitting down to do the Smash post some time this coming week.

In the mean time, someone recently released a homemade C64 port of Donkey Kong Jr! It looks pretty good:

Here's the release thread for more information: http://csdb.dk/forums/?roomid=7&topicid=106627
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
I.M.Gibbon
post Jan 4 2015, 12:14 PM
Post #199

Immortal Monkey

QUOTE(Jeff @ Nov 29 2014, 10:04 AM) *

A topic request for sometime down the line: What with the newest game being out, how about a look back at the Expanded Arcade Era's representation across the Smash Bros series? Ever since melee there's been some pretty substantial retro elements in play.

Hey, just wanted to let you know that I'm back from visiting the family and am working on getting this post together. You have not been forgotten!
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
I.M.Gibbon
post Jan 6 2015, 01:01 AM
Post #200

Immortal Monkey

Crossposting this from elsewhere, but TipTup made some nice discoveries about Stanley, the one true Bugman!

QUOTE(TTJ94 @ Jan 5 2015, 09:44 PM) *

Boy, do I have some treats for you fuckers! A couple of Stanley-related tidbits that the entire Internet seems completely oblivious to.

1. The "Bugman" in Stanley the Bugman is canonical!

In 1991, Nintendo published a supplementary magazine to Nintendo Power called Mario Mania. On page 16 of this magazine...

IPB Image

Stanley the Bugman. It's capitalized, so you know that shit's legit.

2. Stanley is the protagonist of the Greenhouse Game & Watch game!

Behold, in all its glory:

Yeahhh. That's him alright, in his design from the Greenhouse boxart. MarioWiki (that great bastion of truth and justice) has been updated accordingly.

Man, it feels so good to get all that off my chest. I really enjoyed the Stanley... "retrospective," and fuck yes GameBest should be a real thing.

Good Stuff!
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

12 Pages V « < 2 3 4 5 6 > » 
Start new topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd October 2017 - 08:16 PM
Banana Coins don't grow on trees! Please help keep this site running.
DK Vine Forums