Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

12 Pages V « < 5 6 7 8 9 > »   
Start new topicStart new topic
> The Expanded Arcade Era appreciation & discussion thread, for Arcade Era DK and its non-DKC continuations
Chad
post May 28 2015, 02:32 PM
Post #301

Co-Founder

No pressure or anything...
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
I.M.Gibbon
post May 28 2015, 03:03 PM
Post #302

Immortal Monkey

Well fuck me haha.

thefuturessobright.gif

I suppose I should put some work in today. tongue.gif

Thanks!
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
TheMasterDS
post May 28 2015, 03:18 PM
Post #303

Master of Banana Coin

Ghoooooost
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
I.M.Gibbon
post Jun 7 2015, 11:05 AM
Post #304

Immortal Monkey

well, I just spent an hour writing up the brawl entry, but one of the infrequent page errors that pops up here every once in a while combining with the forum's flood control protocols not letting me preview my post has wiped all my work.

Ugh I guess that's my fault for not copying out the post to notepad or something but goddammit.

So, yeah, might try to do that again later but I'm really not feeling up to compiling all those pics and such again right at this moment.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
I.M.Gibbon
post Jun 7 2015, 02:28 PM
Post #305

Immortal Monkey

I lieu of the Brawl post, have this instead:

In 1983, when copyright laws were lax, a lone programmer made what these days would be called a fan-game.

IPB Image

Jumpman chronicles the efforts of the titular protagonist defusing bombs that have been placed in a skyscraper construction zone.

The character has evolved from a pudgy Italian to more of a John McClain, but that might just be bad box art syndrome.

Randy Glover, the creator, freely admits that the game is inspired by Donkey Kong and that he stole the name therein. If this wasn't already an "established" franchise at this point, he would probably have been in legal trouble if he'd tried to do something similar today.

After developing the original, Glover went on to develop Jumpman Jr. Also released in 1983, Jumpman Jr is less a sequel, and more of a demo; A way for people who didn't have disk-drives to enjoy the game.

In 1991, Apogee Software publish Jumpman Lives! This title was unauthorized, and Glover successfully got the game removed from circulation, though you can still find copies floating around every once in a while. While it repeats some levels from the original, it has a decent amount of new levels and obstacles.

Jumpman Lives featured a "first hit is free" model of distribution, where you got the first set of levels for free and had to pay for the rest in installments.

Notably, the series also went full sci-fi at this point, involving Jumpman exploring alien installations on other planets, having completely abandoned the New York skyline, though the graphics within the games themselves didn't really change all that much.

2001 saw the release of Jumpman Zero, which is 3D by virtue of weird isometric voxel graphics, with a camera angle that gives me a slight sense of vertigo.

It starts out by recreating stuff from the original game but then quickly goes into surreal territory, what with the propeller-equipped murder sheep and the giant tetrominos and such.

Most levels features a gimmick of some sort, many of which are derived from classic arcade or home console games of the eighties. It's pretty fun.

In a really odd case of things coming full circle, in 2008 the original Jumpman was released on the Wii Virtual Console.

Looks a bit awkward in the setup stage witht he virtual keyboard, but once you get past that it's just a straight port.

Finally, in 2014, Jumpman Forever was released as an OUYA exclusive (I know, right?)

Notably, the lore of the series has been retconned to have always been alien invaders on a space station instead of terrorists in skyscrapers, but eh that's okay really. It's a clear attempt to distinguish itself a bit from its Mario roots.

It strives to be a "feature perfect" sequel to the original, and, in my opinion, suffers a bit from a lack of innovation because of it.

Of the games in the series, I like Jumpman Lives and Jumpman Zero the best. Inteestingly, these are the two less-than-authorized games in the series, but that perhaps just goes to show that a new perspective is not a bad thing when it comes to continuing a franchise.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
I.M.Gibbon
post Jun 9 2015, 01:59 PM
Post #306

Immortal Monkey

There's a three-in-one DK trilogy arcade machine going on ebay for a reasonable price plus shipping (rare for arcade cabinets) and I just don't have the disposable income at the moment.

crybabycry.gif
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
GmanSir
post Jun 9 2015, 02:12 PM
Post #307

Kong Family Helper

This 3-in-1 wasn't made/manufactured by Nintendo, was it?
Hi
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
I.M.Gibbon
post Jun 9 2015, 03:13 PM
Post #308

Immortal Monkey

It looks like a Donkey Kong cabinet that's been retrofitted. The listing is unclear, but I assume it's been fitted with a switcher, which Nintendo used to put out back in the day, to allow swapping between circuit boards with a button-press.

As far as official three-in-one machines go, Namco of all people licensed the arcade titles and put out a Donkey Kong / Junior / Mario Bros cabinet, so I imagine the DK / Jr / 3 cab on ebay is using a similar internal board setup.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
I.M.Gibbon
post Jun 14 2015, 09:36 PM
Post #309

Immortal Monkey

Wasn't expecting much of any Arcade Era news at E3, but we've already got some snippets!

First off, a pastiche of the Arcade Donkey Kong on the pip-boy in Fallout 4!

IPB Image

Additionally, Mario is sporting an update of his Wrecking Crew '98 duds on the new Super Mario Maker promotional images:

IPB Image

Fun times, fun times.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
NES Boy
post Jun 15 2015, 04:26 PM
Post #310

Secret Squirrel

While we're on the subject of Super Mario Maker, check out this DK Arcade homage I found on Tumblr inspired by the Nintendo World Championships yesterday.
[IMG]http://www.i-mockery.com/minimocks/Ax-Em/yelling.gif[/IMG]
Feel the terror! Experience the horror! Witness this guy fail to keep a straight face!
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
I.M.Gibbon
post Jun 15 2015, 09:28 PM
Post #311

Immortal Monkey

Haha nice! Ive been seeing the tower of Bowsers meme floating around twitter all day. Fun stuff.

No arcade era stuff as such today, though I wasn't really expecting anything on a non-Nintendo day.

Anyone see anything I missed in that regard?
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Man-Frog
post Jun 15 2015, 10:28 PM
Post #312

Immortal Monkey

I dunno if Mario's clothes up there are an "update" so much as a throwback to his original Wrecking Crew sprite. He's wearing a yellow shirt and red overalls, after all.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
I.M.Gibbon
post Jun 17 2015, 05:53 PM
Post #313

Immortal Monkey

Nice to see some DK'94 references in Skylanders SuperChargers. Donkey's got an attack where he stomps the ground, causing girders and such to rain from the sky. Excellent stuff!

approve.gif
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
I.M.Gibbon
post Jun 18 2015, 09:07 AM
Post #314

Immortal Monkey

Let's see if I can't figure out how to embed this...

IPB Image

haha! Success!
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
GmanSir
post Jun 19 2015, 09:31 AM
Post #315

Kong Family Helper

The Japan-only 3DS application, Collectible Badge Center, will be getting some Mario Vs. Donkey Kong badges.

IPB Image
IPB Image
Hi
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
I.M.Gibbon
post Jun 19 2015, 09:48 AM
Post #316

Immortal Monkey

Ahhhhhhh!

That's adorable!

Japanese only, you say?

wealllose.gif

Thanks for the info! I shall put some more research into it!
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
GmanSir
post Jul 10 2015, 01:09 PM
Post #317

Kong Family Helper

IPB Image

The DK one looks pretty cool.
Hi
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
M-Dog1000000
post Jul 10 2015, 01:11 PM
Post #318

Lord of Games

I love his "suck it" pose...

I'll pick it up, or rather, order it online through Amazon like I did their Cranky Kong figure! bitchfest.gif
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
I.M.Gibbon
post Jul 11 2015, 10:35 AM
Post #319

Immortal Monkey

Thanks for the head's up GMan! Yeah I'll have to order one of those myself.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
NES Boy
post Jul 24 2015, 05:27 AM
Post #320

Secret Squirrel

Guess what just came out today?

Very Large Image(s):

Discussion irrelevant to DK's appearance in the movie goes here.
Feel the terror! Experience the horror! Witness this guy fail to keep a straight face!
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
I.M.Gibbon
post Jul 24 2015, 08:38 AM
Post #321

Immortal Monkey

Oh shit is that today? Anyone know if the mobile tie-in game is out? Or even actually happened? I've been meaning to give it a scan to see if any of the Nintendo elements actually made it in...
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
NES Boy
post Jul 24 2015, 10:28 AM
Post #322

Secret Squirrel

I just checked the Apple App Store, and yes, "PIXELS Defense" is up, and it's been out for a while now. I haven't downloaded it yet, but I did read the description. It doesn't mention Donkey Kong, just "PAC-MAN, Centipede, Q*bert, Frogger and more of your favorite game characters".

Oddly enougth, while early screenshots had a coin sprite from one of the Super Mario games:

Very Large Image(s):

In the final game, it's replaced with a generic graphic (along with the heart becoming non-pixelated):

IPB Image

Apparently, you can play as Sam Brenner (Adam Sandler), Eddie Plant (Peter Dinklage), Ludlow Lamonsoff (Josh Gad), and President Will Cooper (Kevin James), with Toru Iwatani (Denis Akiyama) and Lady Lisa (Ashley Benson) as unlockable characters.

By the way, at the bottom of the title screen is scrolling text giving you video game trivia, and at least one of them is related to Donkey Kong:

IPB Image

Of course, you'll also get stupid crud such as this:

IPB Image
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
billyhatcher17
post Jul 24 2015, 12:38 PM
Post #323

No Hoper

From you sister's piggy what?!

PIGGY WHAT?!
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
I.M.Gibbon
post Jul 24 2015, 01:38 PM
Post #324

Immortal Monkey

Watching some gameplay videos, I notice that the Mario Coin graphic has been replaced with some generic coinage vector art.

Not sure I feel like spending the time to verify that DK is't in this...
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
NES Boy
post Jul 25 2015, 05:17 AM
Post #325

Secret Squirrel

The infamous Irate Gamer looks at classic Donkey Kong:

Specifically, he looks into:
  • Donkey Kong Classics (NES)
  • Donkey Kong II (Game & Watch)
  • Donkey Kong 3 (NES)
  • Donkey Kong Jr. Math (NES)
Things to point out:
  • He calls the oil barrel a "fire can".
  • He makes the Hammer power up look like it lasts longer than it does in the actual game. (A recurring bit he does in his reviews.)
  • When talking about the things that didn't carry over from the arcade version, he doesn't bring up Donkey Kong Original Edition.
  • He claims the birds in DKJ drop bird shit on you.
  • He thinks the third DKJ level takes place inside a computer.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Cubern
post Jul 25 2015, 10:46 AM
Post #326

Boss

...Irate Gamer still exists? I thought he did ghost hunting videos now.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
I.M.Gibbon
post Jul 25 2015, 11:32 AM
Post #327

Immortal Monkey

What an oddly specific list of old DK games to look at.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Mametchi
post Jul 25 2015, 12:07 PM
Post #328

Bustin' a Nut

What a hilarious ending
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
I.M.Gibbon
post Jul 25 2015, 12:30 PM
Post #329

Immortal Monkey

Like, I can totally get Classics, 3, and Math, but what's with the random G&W game?
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
MFWolfe
post Jul 25 2015, 10:03 PM
Post #330

Video Game Hero

It's the only thing he could find called "Donkey Kong 2," probably.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
I.M.Gibbon
post Jul 25 2015, 10:19 PM
Post #331

Immortal Monkey

Well, there's also "Donkey Kong 2: Jumpman Returns", but he seems to just be focusing on console ports... Either way, it's odd-man-out. He goes over four NES titles... and G&W DKII, which is just another Jr adaption. He could have covered, say, Mario Bros and Wrecking Crew, or Popeye for the shared history, or just stuck to the four NES DK titles, and it would have made more sense.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
MFWolfe
post Jul 25 2015, 10:36 PM
Post #332

Video Game Hero

Yeah, he should have gone to DK Girder for info.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
I.M.Gibbon
post Jul 25 2015, 11:05 PM
Post #333

Immortal Monkey

Heh

approve.gif
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Milo
post Jul 25 2015, 11:59 PM
Post #334

Video Game Hero

He was probably just fooled by the name. Should have played DK Hockey instead.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
I.M.Gibbon
post Jul 26 2015, 10:04 AM
Post #335

Immortal Monkey

"Being fooled by the name" only works if you have done literally zero research besides looking at a release list and seeing "Donkey Kong II" amongst the myriad of other titles.

Ah whatever. I'm not even angry about it, just kind of puzzled.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Milo
post Jul 27 2015, 05:26 PM
Post #336

Video Game Hero

QUOTE(I.M.Gibbon @ Jul 27 2015, 02:04 AM) *

"Being fooled by the name" only works if you have done literally zero research

Internet/Youtube "personalities". Would it be inflammatory to say "enough said"?
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
GmanSir
post Jul 28 2015, 11:18 AM
Post #337

Kong Family Helper

While he doesn't appear in the actual toy, we see DK Jr in the packaging for the Super Mario Kart themed Hot Wheels.

IPB Image
Hi
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Clutch
post Jul 28 2015, 08:23 PM
Post #338

Staff Member

It's been pointed out on Tumblr, but man is it hilariously morbid that the Dr. Mario station wagon resembles a hearse.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
I.M.Gibbon
post Jul 28 2015, 10:22 PM
Post #339

Immortal Monkey

Holy shit that's hilarious
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
NES Boy
post Aug 25 2015, 05:03 AM
Post #340

Secret Squirrel

Looks like Super Mario Maker has a costume related to DK Arcade:

Very Large Image(s):
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
I.M.Gibbon
post Aug 25 2015, 08:56 AM
Post #341

Immortal Monkey

ZOUNDS!!

I'm so happy!

I just got in to work early to pull a twelve hour day and you have no idea how much this cheered me up hahah!

thefuturessobright.gif

I wonder if there will be other arcade related skins?
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Yoshizilla-Rhedosaurus
post Aug 25 2015, 11:44 AM
Post #342

Video Game Hero

Oh cool, I was wondering when Toad would get in!

Yes, I know you're referring to DK Jr. and the girder.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
MFWolfe
post Aug 25 2015, 02:22 PM
Post #343

Video Game Hero

Wasn't DK Jr. confirmed like a week ago?
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
I.M.Gibbon
post Aug 25 2015, 02:30 PM
Post #344

Immortal Monkey

First I've heard about it, either way.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
MFWolfe
post Aug 25 2015, 02:33 PM
Post #345

Video Game Hero

From the E3 2015: Super Mario Maker thread:

QUOTE(Sean @ Aug 20 2015, 08:35 AM) *

QUOTE(CM30 @ Aug 19 2015, 05:19 PM) *

Given the presence of Ashley, Waluigi, the Inklings and various other non player characters as unlockable Mystery Suit forms, I don't think either Dixie Kong or K Rool are too unlikely.

The Splatoon folk have Amiibos, which is where the costumes come from. Fair enough on the other two, and also Slippy, Tingle and now Donkey Kong Jr. (We got a picture for that? Trawling Tumblr for it. Found him.)

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Milo
post Aug 31 2015, 04:49 AM
Post #346

Video Game Hero

I just found out the other day that Congo Bongo has more in common with DK Arcade than I thought. Both games were programmed by Ikegami Tsushinki. If you squint, this almost makes it a Playtonic-like situation where it's a kind of a legally distinct spiritual successor made by the same developers as the original game. Maybe more like Azure Striker Gunvolt.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
I.M.Gibbon
post Aug 31 2015, 10:11 PM
Post #347

Immortal Monkey

Nice! I knew vaguely that it was by the same company that Nintendo had contracted for the original Donkey Kong, but had no idea it was actually the same guy. I wonder if Sega sought him out specifically, because of the history?

Since they're the ones that own the arcade Donkey Kong code, could one go so far to call Congo Bongo an alternate sequel, in a Snake's Revenge / Metal Gear 2 sort of way?
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Yoshizilla-Rhedosaurus
post Sep 1 2015, 12:52 AM
Post #348

Video Game Hero

You know, this sort of reminds me that Oswald the lucky rabbit was made by Walt Disney, and then kept by Universal for years before the Disney company managed to buy him back, so in turn as a response to that, Walt made Mickey Mouse.

...I doubt a similar situation would happen in this case.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Milo
post Sep 1 2015, 01:05 AM
Post #349

Video Game Hero

Clarification: Ikegami Tsushinki is the name of a company that makes electronics hardware. I realise now that it does sound like a name. But it's quite likely that the same people worked on both.

The Snake's Revenge comparison is interesting but in this case there's no explicit connection between the games so it's not quite the same.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
I.M.Gibbon
post Sep 1 2015, 10:42 AM
Post #350

Immortal Monkey

Perhaps Final Fantasy Tactics would be a better comparison? Get the people who made that thing you want to compete with (in that case the Ogre Battle franchise) to make your version too? No explicit in-universe connections (well, on the surface, anyway. Look, the Zetegenia / Ivalice situation is complicated, okay?), but lots of similarities.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

12 Pages V « < 5 6 7 8 9 > » 
Start new topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd October 2017 - 08:25 PM
Banana Coins don't grow on trees! Please help keep this site running.
DK Vine Forums