Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

12 Pages V « < 10 11 12  
Start new topicStart new topic
> The Expanded Arcade Era appreciation & discussion thread, for Arcade Era DK and its non-DKC continuations
Zedxclon
post Sep 25 2017, 06:38 PM
Post #551

:)

Thanks for your replies, both of you smile.gif

As I've known that Mario Wiki can be quite unreliable, I thought it was best to make my sources clear. I can understand their logic: when I was playing Mario vs. Donkey Kong 2, I saw the Spark enemies and I thought "Oh yes, it's those enemies from Super Mario Bros. 2" and it was that which prompted me to look them up on Mario Wiki to see if they'd been in anything else - as I didn't recall seeing them. So I guess, saying that Spark and Sparky are the same creature is a bit of a retcon.

Ultimately, you couldn't really say that the Sparks in SMB2 had any real "Donkey Kong DNA" in them, as it doesn't seem that there was a conscious effort to tie them to the earlier enemies until later.

IM Gibbon - one last bit of food for thought. If you don't want to include "Super" Mario games, you could always count the Sparks appearance in Doki Doki Panic and just rule out Super Mario Bros. 2 for the reasons you explained about.
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
I.M.Gibbon
post Sep 25 2017, 07:14 PM
Post #552

Immortal Monkey

Hmm, now there's an angle I hadn't considered...

Will have to do some research, see if that has any other connections, and see what the implications of that would be for further game inclusion.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
TTJ94
post Oct 4 2017, 08:21 PM
Post #553

Kong Family Helper

Gibbon, do you know where I could find scans of that one Donkey Kong coloring book from the 80s that shows DK escaping from the circus...?
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
I.M.Gibbon
post Oct 4 2017, 09:35 PM
Post #554

Immortal Monkey

well you can find some on the first post of this thread, for starters, though it's not a full scan.

You should note though, that that's only one of several activity books that were put out back then, and is just the one that is most passed around the internet. I've seen them on ebay from time to time, but never at a time when I have money burning a hole in my pocket.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
TTJ94
post Oct 4 2017, 10:20 PM
Post #555

Kong Family Helper

As far as I can tell, there are four distinct books, some of which have multiple covers; that sound right?

- A DK one which shows a real-world gorilla being zapped by a shrink ray and getting stuck in an arcade machine
- A DK one depicting the in-universe events leading up to the game (this *might* be same as the first but I think it's not)
- Donkey Kong Strikes Again, which is utterly fascinating. Pauline is a cabaret singer (Odyssey!) and Mario's love for her is now unrequited...
- Donkey Kong Jr. (might be more than one of these too)

I have seen a couple on eBay. Don't know if I could justify it at the moment... but anyway thanks, I'll take a look at that post.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
I.M.Gibbon
post Oct 4 2017, 11:06 PM
Post #556

Immortal Monkey

I've seen covers that say "Activity Book", "Puzzles and Mazes", and "Activity Coloring Book" for both DK & DK Jr, but, as you can see...

IPB Image

There are multiple covers for the same book, so I wouldn't be at all surprised if those are all variations of the same DK & DK Jr book.

I wasn't actually aware that Donkey Kong Strikes Again was its own thing, so thanks for that! Assuming it's the one seen here, http://neatocoolville.blogspot.com/2009/10...ain-inside.html, that actually dovetails quite nicely with an LCD game I've been trying to track down; Crazy Kong, a reskin of Monster Panic, featuring "Kong" alongside some movie monsters like a dracula and a black lagoon creature!

TTJ, I have bad news lol.

All four of those DK Strikes Again books are different inside.

SO, uh, each cover you cove across is probably a different book that needs scanning.

Fuuuuuuuuuck lol.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

12 Pages V « < 10 11 12
Start new topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd October 2017 - 08:15 PM
Banana Coins don't grow on trees! Please help keep this site running.
DK Vine Forums