Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

10 Pages V « < 6 7 8 9 10 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Donkey Kong Country Forever/Donkey Kong 3D Discussion, Spoilers!
Scraps69
post Mar 10 2012, 09:28 PM
Post #351

Kong Fuck Shit Doowiteh Enniweh

It's the same on both sides of the cover.
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
FamiKong
post Mar 10 2012, 09:31 PM
Post #352

Kong

I'm so utterly disappointed.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Sean
post Mar 10 2012, 10:20 PM
Post #353

Video Game Hero

So the gist of it is, there's a DK 3DS game and it's coming sooner rather than later. That's enough of a time frame that I can assume we wouldn't see it till E3, but still likely come out this year.

I dunno, standard cynicism is telling me to bite my tongue and assume the worst, but I find myself believing that this is the real thing. (Not Scraps' photos or commentary, but that EB Games/Gamespot found out about a DK game and revealed it before anyone else.) We'll see in four months at the latest, I suppose.

I won't be surprised to see a report in a week or two about stores pulling the boxes from the shelves, like that means anything.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Kobble
post Mar 10 2012, 11:00 PM
Post #354

Video Game Hero

King K. Rool making his 3DS debut, gentlemen? I am delighted at the thought.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Mystical Ninja
post Mar 10 2012, 11:55 PM
Post #355

Animal Buddy

Assuming this is actually true, and Retro Studios is indeed the developer, I'm keeping my expectations low this time around, considering what a disappointment Donkey Kong Country Returns turned out to be.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
ReggieFish
post Mar 11 2012, 12:00 AM
Post #356

Video Game Hero

Yeah the shit before DKCR was so much better. So many quality developers making so many Donkey Kong games that when the untalented assholes at Retro made that fucking shit it was just a stain on the franchise and we should all move on and forget it ever happened. Hopefully we can get another Donkey Konga to revive this broken corpse of a series.
Video games YEAH!
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Mystical Ninja
post Mar 11 2012, 12:06 AM
Post #357

Animal Buddy

Wow. Way to put words in my mouth. Big-time. Nowhere in that post did I say anything even remotely close to wanting another Donkey Konga. Back in 2009, I made the mistake of purchasing a used copy of that game, and even up to this day, I regret doing so, even though I used a giftcard. Another Donkey Konga entry is one of the last things I want to see.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
ReggieFish
post Mar 11 2012, 12:26 AM
Post #358

Video Game Hero

You don't like Donkey Konga!? What kind of Donkey Kong fan are you?

I can understand hating that piece of trash DKCR, like we all do, but Donkey Konga single-handedly invented the music game genre and elevated Donkey Kong from some unrecognizable bottom tier Nintendo character into a super star. It's because of that game that the DKU, and thus this forum, was born. Critics loved it too, and consumers couldn't get enough of the hit bongo-slapping sensation. It went on to sell 10 billion copies and up until DKCR soiled the good name of Donkey Kong, it was in the NPD top 10 for nearly a decade. Now Call of Duty has taken its place as a cultural phenomenon and Donkey Kong is back to being a distant memory.

If only Namco put out one more... I believe we wouldn't be sulking in obscurity, begging for the resurrection of our once beloved fandom. Oh, what could have been...

VIDEO GAMES!
Video games YEAH!
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
FamiKong
post Mar 11 2012, 12:33 AM
Post #359

Kong

Reggie. Shut up.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Highway
post Mar 11 2012, 12:52 AM
Post #360

Kong Family Helper

???

I thought his history was pretty accurate, personally. The bliss that comes with playing Donkey Konga is divine ambrosia compared to the sour acceptance that comes with settling for something less than stellar.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
TheMasterDS
post Mar 11 2012, 02:11 AM
Post #361

Master of Banana Coin

It's not funny when Reggie does it because far as you know he might actually believe that being a zealot and all.

Pssssssssttttt Scraps. I would really like it if you would look at your PM inbox here. Or log into Steam.
Ghoooooost
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
ReggieFish
post Mar 11 2012, 02:42 AM
Post #362

Video Game Hero

Haha oh that's funny, you calling someone a zealot. And yup I'm always serious.
Video games YEAH!
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
M-Dog1000000
post Mar 11 2012, 02:44 AM
Post #363

Immortal Monkey

I'd rather the 3DS version keep the Tikis, honestly.

When K.rool makes his comeback, make it where it's big on the home consoles, that's where the most attention will be drawn to no matter what happens.

I don't understand how somebody can be disappointed with DKCR, unless the only thing you really loved about the old DKC games were in fact the kremlings, and very little of anything else. Reggie's sarcasm may be a bit extreme there, but Mystical Ninja's trashing of DKCR wasn't so hot either.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Iggy
post Mar 11 2012, 04:03 AM
Post #364

Kong Family Helper

If K.Rool doesn't show up in the NEXT GAME, he'll end up like Captain Syrup...He's shown up on the Wii twice already (in a Mario game and in a lackluster racing game), so he needs to keep his relevance up. If they DO use the Tiki Tak Tribe...they need to get a new leader; as Tiki Tong is TOO gameplay friendly and once you've fought him once, you've fought him 1000 times(Andross Syndrome).

But alas, I wonder if they actually will go with the Donkey Kong Land title being on a handheld and all. Could it mean the return of that long forgotten enemy Hogwash? No, not really, Tiki Tork will take its place. The main thing that is on my mind is how interesting these level themes will be in 3D...Hopefully they won't just re-use the same ones from DKCR (this isn't the Mario series). I suppose they could redesign DK Island AGAIN to fit new level themes in (cause the way it was set up in DKCR, there was little to no room for expansion).
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Bahmo (DK Spartacus)
post Mar 11 2012, 04:04 AM
Post #365

Video Game Hero

QUOTE(reggiefishaime @ Mar 11 2012, 03:42 AM) *

Haha oh that's funny, you calling someone a zealot. And yup I'm always serious.

Really? rolleyes.gif

I'm aware you were probably being facetious, but if you understood what Ninja really meant and still decided to mock it for being what it wasn't, then that's almost worse. It's obvious he's saying that DKCR is a disappointent measured against the original DKC trilogy; not the spin-off games that came out between the trilogy and it, and that's a perfectly valid opinion.

I, too, did not ultimately care for the direction Retro took the series. It didn't ruin the game's appeal, but it worsened it. Yes; it's better than any DK game released a decade earlier, and better than the usual stock of Wii games, because it has a lot more effort put into it, but it takes out too much of what I loved in the series, and adds things I absolutely hate. You'd think that after decades of people calling Battletoads out on that sort of shit, developers would get the clue that one-hit-death-gauntlets aren't a good idea. Maybe some people like that sort of thing, so make such a game for them, but don't shove that sort of gameplay at that difficulty into a series that never made such demands of players in the past.

These stages are a perfect example of what's wrong with Retro's take on the series: They focused the whole thing on a few narrow types of gameplay and testing the abilities of players, and trimmed off a lot of the atmospheric appeal of the original. Note to designers: STOP DOING THIS! Stop thinking sawing off things creates a better game! Stop doing it in Sonic, stop doing it in Mega Man, and stop doing it in Donkey Kong before you have a chance to fully start. A game these days is supposed to be more than just a game, it is a work of art; potentially a work of literature, and an experience.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
koopaul
post Mar 11 2012, 06:20 AM
Post #366

Immortal Monkey

Wait wait wait... You think DKCR lacked atmosphere? Are we playing the same games here?
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
ivanw
post Mar 11 2012, 07:06 AM
Post #367

No Hoper

I don't get it either... We were all disappointed about the lack of Kremlings & co but DKCR is one of the best platformers I've ever played.
To be honest, I think it destroys DKC 1-3 in terms of pure gameplay. There are so many new ideas, and DK has a strictly defined hitbox. To me the hitbox was one of the biggest flaws the original series suffered from.

DKC2 is still better overall, the presentation, music, theme and atmosphere are awesome. But I think Returns is better in the gameplay department.

As for the rumored 3DS game, it all looks fake to me. But I'm sure there will be one sooner or later anyway... I just hope it's very bad so I don't have to buy the system tongue.gif
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Pine
post Mar 11 2012, 08:00 AM
Post #368

Video Game Hero

If the game is bad then it won't sell, if it doesn't sell we can kiss the series goodbye. Lately it seems like Nintendo (of America) is turning into Activision; if games don't sell millions of copies like Mario or Pokémon they don't give us more, meanwhile there's no end of Mario and Pokémon spinoffs released every year, whether we want them or not.

Yeah, I'm aware of the above post is a joke (I hope), but we really need another good DK game.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Clutch
post Mar 11 2012, 08:05 AM
Post #369

Queen Banana Bird

QUOTE(Iggy @ Mar 11 2012, 04:03 AM) *

If K.Rool doesn't show up in the NEXT GAME, he'll end up like Captain Syrup...

A character that still came back from her two (okay, four if you count World and Master of Disguise) game hiatus because people still saw her as Wario's true antagonist. So not an entirely hopeless comparison.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Nintenfreak
post Mar 11 2012, 08:43 AM
Post #370

Video Game Hero

I want K. Rool, I don't even care. He doesn't need a triumphant return. He's their enemy, he's been there forever. I don't mind if they use resources from returns, like enemies and stuff, but I do want K. Rool.

Hey, wait a second, would Awks and Frogoons even attack DK now, considering the tikis hypnotized them?
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Snare
post Mar 11 2012, 09:23 AM
Post #371

MIWAFYH

Like Paon are ever going to develop a Donkey Kong game again. Jungle Climber flopped in sales. Barrel Blast was a flop and was destroyed by critics. After the success of Returns I can't see it happening.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
CM30
post Mar 11 2012, 09:52 AM
Post #372

Brother Bear

QUOTE(Iggy @ Mar 11 2012, 10:03 AM) *

If K.Rool doesn't show up in the NEXT GAME, he'll end up like Captain Syrup...He's shown up on the Wii twice already (in a Mario game and in a lackluster racing game), so he needs to keep his relevance up. If they DO use the Tiki Tak Tribe...they need to get a new leader; as Tiki Tong is TOO gameplay friendly and once you've fought him once, you've fought him 1000 times(Andross Syndrome).

But alas, I wonder if they actually will go with the Donkey Kong Land title being on a handheld and all. Could it mean the return of that long forgotten enemy Hogwash? No, not really, Tiki Tork will take its place. The main thing that is on my mind is how interesting these level themes will be in 3D...Hopefully they won't just re-use the same ones from DKCR (this isn't the Mario series). I suppose they could redesign DK Island AGAIN to fit new level themes in (cause the way it was set up in DKCR, there was little to no room for expansion).

So in other words, K Rool will return in about ten years as DK's ally in Donkey Kong Country 6. Okay. And then I guess he'll stab DK in the back in the ending and steal his banana hoarde after the new bad guy is dead. Fair enough.

But seriously, K Rool needs to return.

I actually hope it's not a Donkey Kong Land like game to be honest. I don't want another game with the tikis as bad guys and the same general themes and game mechanics from Returns. I mean, it's a good game, it's just that it fell slightly short in some sense and I'd want a sequel of any kind to improve upon its flaws. And we all know the Donkey Kong Land games used the same general stuff as their SNES counterparts as far as level themes and story went (with a half exception for the first one).

QUOTE(Nintenfreak @ Mar 11 2012, 02:43 PM) *

I want K. Rool, I don't even care. He doesn't need a triumphant return. He's their enemy, he's been there forever. I don't mind if they use resources from returns, like enemies and stuff, but I do want K. Rool.

Hey, wait a second, would Awks and Frogoons even attack DK now, considering the tikis hypnotized them?

Considering the Frogoons attacked in Mario Kart 7, maybe.

But I'd want the Kremlings and other regular Donkey Kong Country enemies to return, so hopefully it won't matter.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Yusuf
post Mar 11 2012, 10:35 AM
Post #373

Video Game Hero

This year's E3 will be the most important E3, at least for me. If you don't see DKC, or any DK at E3 this year, it'll be a dead franchise for the next decade... AGAIN! If this is not true, and EB Games is pulling a scam (it's a trick, a scheme, a scam... nevermind) or had a printing error, DK will only appear in cameo games.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Sean
post Mar 11 2012, 10:47 AM
Post #374

Video Game Hero

If you don't see DKC, or any DK at E3 this year, it'll be a dead franchise for the next decade... AGAIN!

Oh, come on. This will only be the second E3 since DKCR was revealed. There were hella bigger gaps where no new DK games were coming out, like 2001-2003 (I want to say 2008-2009 as an example, though I suppose NPC Jungle Beat is in there). There are other series that have disappeared completely for almost decades if not more. Donkey Kong is pretty much a constant. If not this year, then next year.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Yusuf
post Mar 11 2012, 11:33 AM
Post #375

Video Game Hero

Yes Sean, I realize Donkey Kong is more fortunate than F-Zero. My point is that if we don't even get DK mentioned this year, we'll have to wait again.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Sean
post Mar 11 2012, 11:36 AM
Post #376

Video Game Hero

And I'm saying it will not be nearly as long of a wait as you fear it will be.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Grunt Von Veisaton
post Mar 11 2012, 12:21 PM
Post #377

Brother Bear

IPB Image

"Hi, I'm Dr. K. Brool, with some of K. Brool's Rules. Are you worried that I won't appear in the DKCR sequel? Just prey harder dummy. For your health."

In all seriousness I have a feeling he'll be back.
[size=7][i]"Curse you , El Taco-Man!You can make fun of my weight,You can foil my plans,But when you ate my last bag of pork rinds, you went too far!"
-Grunt Von Veisaton
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Scraps69
post Mar 11 2012, 02:10 PM
Post #378

Kong Fuck Shit Doowiteh Enniweh

Here are those promised shots.

I forgot to do a closeup shot of the DK 3D cover so I just got the original non resized version of my photo, cut it and viola:
IPB Image

Proving it was in EB Games:
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
TheMasterDS
post Mar 11 2012, 02:19 PM
Post #379

Master of Banana Coin

Oh hey, it's this year apparently. I didn't see that part on the smaller version, neat. Big claim to make on a game we don't even know exists, maybe it's accurate.
Ghoooooost
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Yusuf
post Mar 11 2012, 02:20 PM
Post #380

Video Game Hero

It also says 2012 on the Smash Bros. case right next to it.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Jeff
post Mar 11 2012, 02:21 PM
Post #381

Queen Banana Bird

They made the same claim on SSB. And that has no chance of coming out this year. It's speculation.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Yusuf
post Mar 11 2012, 02:24 PM
Post #382

Video Game Hero

I wouldn't even call it speculation, since it hasn't even started development yet. I would just call it a straight up lie, or maybe they're just too hopeful.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Sean
post Mar 11 2012, 02:24 PM
Post #383

Video Game Hero

It's something to make you actually want to preorder the game, and they can change it to the legit date whenever that's announced.

It is not the full-fledged proof that this is all bullshit, like I've seen many commentators on other sites say. These new photos prove, at the very least, that the store is actually carrying them, but I somehow doubt they'll disseminate past this site.

For what it's worth, I'm a believer.

And work on SSB has begun already.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Yusuf
post Mar 11 2012, 02:28 PM
Post #384

Video Game Hero

Do you know if they're just planning or they've actually started making some stages and character models? My guess is that the latter won't happen until late this month when Kid Icarus comes out.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Sean
post Mar 11 2012, 02:31 PM
Post #385

Video Game Hero

Kid Icarus is done. It's gone gold, packages are already being filled and people are getting the game to review. It's been that way for a little while now, if I recall; my memory is telling me since February. Assuming they jumped straight to Smash, they've had a few weeks to start preliminary things.

Obviously the 2012 bit isn't going to be true. Not arguing that. We're talking two simultaneous games and one of them is potentially more ambitious. But at least it's a game we know exists, so the preorder itself is legitimate. When the actual date is revealed, they just push it back like any other delay. They have to put some date on it, no matter how unlikely it is.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Clutch
post Mar 11 2012, 03:13 PM
Post #386

Queen Banana Bird

Yeah, putting completely speculation/outright bullshit on retailer placeholder boxes is nothing new. The placeholder box for Brawl had Sonic (before he was announced), Rayman, and Birdo on it.

The greater story (for DK3D anyway) is if they were given clearance to put it on a shelf and charge for it because it's on a release list, which, if the store's employees aren't trying to get fired, should be the case.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Jeff
post Mar 11 2012, 03:32 PM
Post #387

Queen Banana Bird

Yeah, I wasn't saying the date disproved anything, I was just saying it didn't prove it or make it more accurate. Just a ballpark guess, which they do all the time with nothing to go off of.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Zeppelin
post Mar 11 2012, 03:39 PM
Post #388

Video Game Hero

EDIT: Nevermind.

Anyway, this would of course be excellent if true, but I'm not getting my hopes up (too much).
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Yusuf
post Mar 11 2012, 03:50 PM
Post #389

Video Game Hero

I wouldn't even expect a mention, let alone a trailer, for Smash until next year's E3.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
TheNintendoFan1343
post Mar 11 2012, 04:01 PM
Post #390

No Hoper

@Scraps: I hope you don't mind that I used two of the images you posted of Donkey Kong 3D at another website.

I think it's strange that GameStop would be doing this without an official announcement. I plan to go to EB Games on Tuesday so I'll check it out then. Also, saying that Super Smash Bros. 3DS will come out in 2012 is a stretch, to say the least.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Pine
post Mar 11 2012, 04:22 PM
Post #391

Video Game Hero

Now IGN has jumped on the bandwagon.

Must be a slow news week for IGN Nintendo, huh? Not that it's anything surprising.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Clutch
post Mar 11 2012, 04:30 PM
Post #392

Queen Banana Bird

We know, they were among the first to "break" the story.

I respect that guy for at least giving Scraps a proper name drop as opposed to gonintendo.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
No No No, Wrong Way!
post Mar 11 2012, 04:30 PM
Post #393

Video Game Hero

Whatever happened to that other game PAON was making? Did that do well at all? Did it even come out? Am I imagining video games now?
Pac-man, get the cherry!
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
No No No, Wrong Way!
post Mar 11 2012, 04:33 PM
Post #394

Video Game Hero

I would probably be a bit disappointed if this turned out to be a true "Land" game and just borrowed everything from Returns, although there is no doubt that I would still enjoy it. But I think it might be a bit harder to get away with that kind of thing in this day and age, where the handhold console can do a lot more than a stripped down port.

Also, it is only a matter of time before Scraps is an internet celebrity.
Pac-man, get the cherry!
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
TheNintendoFan1343
post Mar 11 2012, 04:35 PM
Post #395

No Hoper

QUOTE(Pine @ Mar 11 2012, 07:22 PM) *

Must be a slow news week for IGN Nintendo, huh?

What makes you say that? Donkey Kong is a major franchise and the images that Scraps posted have to do with another entry in the series.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Jeff
post Mar 11 2012, 04:37 PM
Post #396

Queen Banana Bird

I can definitely imagine Paon making another DK game, and not expecting it to flop horribly. The difference being we now live in a post-Returns world. With DK's surge of popularity, I could see Paon working on a spinoff title to capitalize on that, and I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo asks for specifically just to bridge the interim between DKCR and it's eventual sequel (which, who knows when that will be). ESPECIALLY if Retro decides to make something else other than a DKCR sequel right away, and leaves a big gap between the two games.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Sean
post Mar 11 2012, 04:45 PM
Post #397

Video Game Hero

All it would take is making a genuine Country game, and not a spin-off gimmick title. I'm sure Paon is capable of it, even if it would basically turn out to just be Jungle Climber without the climbing (which would be perfectly fine with me). People have shown that that's the kind of Donkey Kong game they want to play, and with any luck, Nintendo would recognize that and actually advertise it, so it doesn't just fall under the radar like every other Paon DK game.

Frankly, if Retro's not behind this game - and I doubt they are - there's not too many developers I would point out as someone I'd want to make a portable DK game, or even likely. The only other one that pops to mind is Nintendo Software Technologies, the MvsDK and Metroid Prime Hunters people. And that is more just for amusing parity than anything else.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Jeff
post Mar 11 2012, 04:45 PM
Post #398

Queen Banana Bird

Actually, I'd argue that IGN finds this piece ESPECIALLY news worthy, since from what I've seen, their weekend news coverage is extremely bare and they report maybe a twentieth as many stories on a weekend day as opposed to a week day. So the fact that it made the news at all to me says IGN thought it was important.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Pine
post Mar 11 2012, 05:21 PM
Post #399

Video Game Hero

I don't see Paon ever working on another DK game again. The last Nintendo-published title they worked on that left Japan was Glory of Heracles, and we all know how that turned out. Plus, they don't just make games for Nintendo, they don't even make games exclusively for Nintendo systems. Look up their website, their catalogue of games released since 2007 is quite different than their DK stuff.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Pine
post Mar 11 2012, 05:25 PM
Post #400

Video Game Hero

I'm saying IGN doesn't usually post speculation when it comes from placeholder boxart. Besides, since there isn't much news for them to post before E3, compared to the other IGN channels, it IS a slow news week. But that's not really important.

Again, IGN commenting reporting speculation isn't unusual, but it is when it comes from sources like this one.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

10 Pages V « < 6 7 8 9 10 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th October 2014 - 03:39 AM
DK Vine Forums
Banana Coins don't grow on trees! Please help keep this site running.