Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Start new topicStart new topic
> Rubber Chicken Audio, Now Playing: DARE TO DREAM - The Music Video
HappyBob
post Feb 2 2012, 09:46 AM
Post #1

Honorary Staff Member

IPB Image

Update: In the absence of the beloved Rubber Chicken forums, the good folk at DK Vine have been kind enough to sanction this thread as a official community page for Rubber Chicken Audio, its predecessor ThatChickenSite.com, and all associated projects.

---------------
Original Post:
---------------

I recently asked Waddle "Matt" Dedede if he would like to perform an old script by Mr. Andrey Summers. "Your vocal delivery is an ideal marriage of dignified and unhinged," I cried. "You'd make a great time-travelling child-murderer!" It didn't quite come out the way I intended, but he somehow accepted nonetheless.

The result is this wonderfully villainous performance. It's neither a light listen nor a humorous one, but it compensates with dramatic substance. Thanks again to Matt (who, in the words of Chad, "redefines the notion of Bringing It") for injecting so much manic energy into such a strange off-the-cuff request.

As it oh-so-conveniently happens, I've just started up a new website for projects such as these. Rubber Chicken Audio is a follow-up of sorts to The Rubber Chicken, serving as a new home for our existing sketch comedy podcast plus my own little diversions in music, mashups and audio fun. On a personal level, my goal is to keep indulging in my favourite hobby with some of my favourite people, hopefully including Chad and Hyle ASAP.

If this pseudo-promise compels you to pay attention out of completist guilt (or if you've actually enjoyed the TRC podcast or the more out-there side of The Vine), I'd be much obliged if you subscribed in some capacity. It would be nice to have you along for the ride, which I promise will be as bumpy and unpredictable as we can possibly make it.
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Waddle Dedede
post Feb 2 2012, 03:14 PM
Post #2

Staff Member

Ah yes! "Time Rapist" as I liked to call it. Well, as you say, it's not meant to be funny in the slightest. Actually, it's pretty gruesome on the whole and it might make you a little... uncomfortable (that is, more so than people usually do when talking to me). Oh my!

Still, I got a BANG out of recording this thing, and it was awfully sweet Alastair to give me a shot! I'd love to say "I hope you have as much fun listening to it as I did recording it". But really, I can't say that. Because I was wanking for the entire time.
~ Waddle Dedede
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
HappyBob
post Feb 2 2012, 09:57 PM
Post #3

Honorary Staff Member

Bonus points for your proportionately uncomfortable file naming system. Your recording "Time Rapist 2 - The Rape Escape.wav" was sitting conspicuously on my desktop for a while before I saw fit to conceal it.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Karla
post Feb 7 2012, 06:49 PM
Post #4

LOVES KYLO REN A LOT

Matt's performance is great (if ENTIRELY CREEPY) but I can't stop listening to this. Seriously, I must have listened to it at least 30 times already. AND YOU ALL SHOULD TOO.

The other night I found myself singing the first few lines in the shower! I just thought I would share that with all of you.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Smooth Dog
post Feb 7 2012, 07:15 PM
Post #5

MIWAFYH

This honestly gave me goosebumps. I love how the music and voice talent cooperates together as it changes rhytm and builds up into ending in a wonderous crescendo. Really classy monologue.
These aren't even used.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
The Saf
post Feb 7 2012, 07:24 PM
Post #6

Resident DKU Legal Expert Biscuit

I miss Andrey. I remember when he popped back in like 2003 to advertise some multi-timezone desktop clock, but I don't think he's been back since.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
HappyBob
post Feb 8 2012, 11:17 AM
Post #7

Honorary Staff Member

For what it's worth, so long as he keeps leaving monologues and archival recordings around, we'll be sure to exploit them.

Not to jump the gun, but I'm very happy to say Matt is LOCKED IN (or at least on record as shrugging and asking "why not?") for a purportedly exciting possible-series. This time in a far less creepy role.

Smooth Dog: that description of honestly getting goosebumps honestly gave me goosebumps. That's exactly what we were aiming for, so reading that means a lot. Thank you.

Karla: Great to hear! Any suggestions for the music video? The current plan was a jogger in front of a greenscreen road, looking up in amazement as stock "corporate fun" photos zoom by from all directions.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Smooth Dog
post Feb 8 2012, 11:38 AM
Post #8

MIWAFYH

I hope the jogger is you, HappyBob, wearing short-shorts and a headband (shirt is optional). I would pay to see that.
These aren't even used.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Zeppelin
post Feb 20 2012, 10:35 PM
Post #9

Video Game Hero

I just listened to this. It was extremely disturbing and very well done. Kudos to all involved.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Chad
post Feb 20 2012, 11:34 PM
Post #10

Co-Founder

I'm extremely excited about Alastair's newest pursuit, Rubber Chicken Audio. There's a built in potential audience here, so I figured we'd rebrand this thread to serve that purpose. And as such, check out the newest effort, a wonderful parody of relaxation tapes.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Zeppelin
post Feb 20 2012, 11:59 PM
Post #11

Video Game Hero

Oh yes, I was just going to mention that. I laughed my ass off consistently through it. I especially loved all the background audio. My favorite part was the hilariously voice-acted and perfectly timed bit about the iced tea label.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
HappyBob
post Feb 21 2012, 02:24 AM
Post #12

Honorary Staff Member

Chad, THANK YOU for the thread rebranding. It's been years since we've had our own forum, so the immediate feedback here has filled a surprisingly large void. If you're willing to make this a little fixture, I'm all too happy to take you up on it.

You may know the author of Rinse Your Anxiety Away as Glancy from these very boards. His tumblr page, Foul Papers, is one of the funniest websites in recent memory (My Third Wedding Will Be My Best Wedding being just one of many standout posts). Basically, it's the micro-blog equivalent of his iced tea label comment, and well worth the "follow" if you have an account around those parts. And while you're there...

Also of note: Chad's "hey, shut off that racket" sounds alarmingly like Krang. Mention it at the right time and he may share a hilarious related story. Less accidental is the pirate's resemblance to Kaptain Kane from The Vine 110. Oh yes. It's secretly canon.

Oh! And! I've just started uploading early podcasts to YouTube. As much as I wince at the pacing and "My First Audacity Project" production, these baby steps were great fun at the time, and hopefully that still shines through.

Next Episode: Matt says something frightfully silly.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Zeppelin
post Feb 21 2012, 09:32 AM
Post #13

Video Game Hero

I'm curious as to what programs and equipment you use, Alastair. You mentioned Audacity, but that surely can't be all you're using...
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Chad
post Feb 21 2012, 12:02 PM
Post #14

Co-Founder

Alastair's an Audacity ninja. As far as I know, that's all he uses (for editing, anyway). It's incredible the skills he's got.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Scraps69
post Feb 21 2012, 04:22 PM
Post #15

IRON FINGER

Time of the trial crosser is quite creepy, though the speech is really good and the way it is expressed is funny heh.

The relaxation tape is also pretty amusing. Take off your clothes and paypal and credit card ha! Axe effect? Wow. This is probably unintentional. But this made me think about how we're destroying the environment and how we might no longer have a place to sit and listen to the sounds of the environment.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
HappyBob
post Feb 23 2012, 04:25 AM
Post #16

Honorary Staff Member

Did somebody say Matt's Interpretation Of Spider-Man As Written By Someone Who Knows Nothing About Spider-Man Except That He Works For A Newspaper And His Name Is Spider-Man?

Zeppelin: Yep. Audacity. (Unless you include the music, which is usually Ableton Live with a midi keyboard, combined with whatever iPad app I'm currently mucking about with, mixed together in... yes, Audacity.) I'm sure ProTools, Adobe Audition and the like are better for the purpose (and it's not appropriate for music at all). But honestly, I've never felt held back by the free software, especially not with the free plugins available on the website. Until that day, it's a security blanket I'm happy to cling to.

Scraps: Not to worry. That transition from chaotic back to soothing at the end? That was Captain Planet fixing everything.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Waddle Dedede
post Feb 24 2012, 05:10 AM
Post #17

Staff Member

Aside from being a showcase for my signature RUBBISH AMERICAN ACCENT, Alastair's audio-wizardry brought this thing to life in ways I'd never imagined. Thanks for the ego-trip, Alastair!
It also gets bonus points for the accompanying picture, the worst and most hilariously pathetic "spider costume" anyone could possibly find...

Fun for FACT FANS: it was more-or-less based on this post, a few days back.
~ Waddle Dedede
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Scraps69
post Feb 24 2012, 04:40 PM
Post #18

IRON FINGER

Are you accepting ideas or audio if we wish to send it to you?
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
HappyBob
post Feb 24 2012, 11:22 PM
Post #19

Honorary Staff Member

Absolutely! On both counts.

Season one of our podcast was almost entirely just silly recordings from a few people (from legitimate sketches to Ben describing a nearby box of shoes), mixed together in an attempt at an interesting way. Even if it didn't fit with what we were going for, there was always a good chance it would appear as an out-of-context snippet. I'd love to revisit that, so while I won't promise anything, everyone is very welcome to send unsolicited recordings to happybob@gmail.com.

Ideas will always be fully credited. Feel very free to hurl them around here.

Sitting on an unproduced script? It may just benefit from some of the talented voice actors in our little ensemble.

Got existing material you're proud of in another medium? Could any of it adapt well to audio? These two recent pieces from Andrew and Matt are both based on short blog posts.

I honestly love doing this, so if I think the process and end product will be entertaining, I'll gladly do the heavy lifting.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Scraps69
post Feb 25 2012, 01:55 AM
Post #20

IRON FINGER

Sweet. Hopefully what I sent you is worthwhile heh. I was just cackling in evil laughter every time I listened to it.

EDIT:
Not going to double post. You fuckin better you Webbed weirdo HA! Heh nice elephant man. Haha, eight legged freak. "None of you understand me".

I love how you've done this from the outside perspective with no idea what spiderman is. Very clever because you'd think exactly like this podcast, a man with eight legs haha. And if you think about it, spiders are just small and probably got some personal issues heh.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
HappyBob
post Mar 31 2012, 02:12 AM
Post #21

Honorary Staff Member

After his first read-through of Trial of the Time-Crosser, Matt threw in his own casually brilliant epilogue. ("I wanted to diffuse the tension in my brain. That was how.")

Because it's only a matter of time before he's discovered and taken away by showbiz, I'd be a damn fool not to milk such a recording for all it's worth. Please enjoy:

Trial of the Time-Crosser II: THE VERDICT.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
HappyBob
post Dec 23 2012, 05:58 AM
Post #22

Honorary Staff Member

Another thoroughly rewarding "joint", as the kids call it, with the artist formerly known as Glancy. (Rewarding, I must stress, to those who made it. The listener's mileage may vary.) You can discover the dark origins of the album on his still-excellent tumblr page Foul Papers, or follow along with the lyrics at home, or download an MP3 your family can cherish forever.

I don't want to give away our next collaboration, but it's a show about a blimp.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Karla
post Dec 23 2012, 12:21 PM
Post #23

LOVES KYLO REN A LOT

Yay, there's an MP3! Everyone should give this song a listen. It's really catchy and hilarious and an excellent addition to anyone's Christmas music playlist.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
HappyBob
post Dec 24 2012, 12:02 AM
Post #24

Honorary Staff Member

"Every year I dream of snowfall, then watch my dreams melt under the sun."
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Karla
post Dec 24 2012, 12:49 AM
Post #25

LOVES KYLO REN A LOT

Or in the rain (that is assuming it rains as much in Victoria as it does on mainland BC). Though it did snow here last week! Probably won't be a white Christmas, though.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Waddle Dedede
post Dec 24 2012, 11:26 AM
Post #26

Staff Member

The mental image of a CHOIR OF GLANCYS is the only one I need to feel appropriately Christ'd and Mass'd!

I get to be a smug smuggo and declare that I did, in fact, have advance notice of this little thing, and it's every bit as absurd as I'd hoped! The line, "how I wish that Jesus was born every single day" particularly resonates with me because we all know that, what with Jesus being magic 'n' all, he could do that. He could do it, and yet he chooses not to. What a selfish, selfish man.
~ Waddle Dedede
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
HappyBob
post May 2 2013, 06:39 AM
Post #27

Honorary Staff Member

Hey, look! Popular culture!

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Clutch
post May 2 2013, 09:30 AM
Post #28

Staff Member

I cried laughing.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Jeff
post May 2 2013, 11:27 AM
Post #29

DKVinecraft Admin

Seconded.

The voice acting was impeccable, great job Chad. I can't tell you how hard I laughed when Major Tom started playing- bravo!
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
HappyBob
post Nov 20 2013, 02:49 AM
Post #30

Honorary Staff Member

There are few feelings quite as satisfying as seeing a long-gestating "wouldn't it be cool if..." idea, no matter how ridiculous or disposable or esoteric, to completion. Ladies and gentlemen, as promised a year and a half ago, the DARE TO DREAM!!!.mp3 music video:

Sorry Smooth Dog, no visible shorts - but I did leave that part open to interpretation.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Karla
post Nov 20 2013, 03:17 AM
Post #31

LOVES KYLO REN A LOT

Like x 1,000,000

This is seriously great and just brings a big old smile to my face.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Smooth Dog
post Nov 20 2013, 02:07 PM
Post #32

MIWAFYH

Shorts or not, this was beautiful. My face is hurting from smiles. #dare
These aren't even used.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
HappyBob
post Nov 22 2013, 10:35 PM
Post #33

Honorary Staff Member

I was expecting a lot of glazed-eyed stares, so seeing the word "smile" pop up so often (both here and elsewhere) means an enormous deal. Thanks!

I forgot to mention: there's a quick wink to DK Vine / Rare-savvy viewers hidden at 1:08. (If I'd been smarter, I would have blatantly depicted Roysten or Chief Bloatazin or something else that would have obligated Hyle and Chad to share it with their 22,000-strong Facebook army.)
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Waddle Dedede
post Nov 28 2013, 06:15 AM
Post #34

Staff Member

Well, that was some fantastic bollocks of which I can only whole-heartedly and whole-spleen'dly approve! I think the world is a better--nay, a safer--place for the fact it exists. Didn't catch the DK Vine/Rare/whatever-it-is nod you mentioned, though. Would it BREAK THE SPELL if you revealed the secret 'Lastair?

BONUS POINTS FOR ERIC ROBERTS.
~ Waddle Dedede
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
HappyBob
post Dec 10 2013, 04:34 AM
Post #35

Honorary Staff Member

Didn't catch the DK Vine/Rare/whatever-it-is nod you mentioned, though. Would it BREAK THE SPELL if you revealed the secret 'Lastair?

SHHHH! No one must know.

Spoiler:
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Start new topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th June 2017 - 03:08 AM
Banana Coins don't grow on trees! Please help keep this site running.
DK Vine Forums