96 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Start new topicStart new topic
> The Kongversation, Latest - Spotlight: Donkey Kong Land III
Slush
post Jan 14 2013, 01:08 AM
Post #1

Co-Founder/Editor-in-Chief

CALL THE DK VINE HOTLINE: 1-202-630-VINE

With each and every episode of The Vine turning into a meticulous production, the original intent of the show has clearly shifted from a current events podcast into an evergreen serialized sci-fi comedy adventure. We have no intention of changing that (and yes, the new episode is still in production!), but we believe we've found a remedy.

Introducing The Kongversation, a no-frills disposable chatfest with Chad and Hyle! Basically, we're removing the "news discussion" from The Vine and placing it in this show, allowing for a bi-weekly (or so) production-free production. It's more along the lines of what The Vine was going to be before we got off track in... what, the second episode?

It's not part of The Vine's continuity, so don't go looking for any connections. It's the real Chad, the real me, and zero concave penis jokes. This is for the best, as it allows us The Vine to become the show it could be if it didn't have any out-of-date discussion holding it back. We hope you'll enjoy both products.

Here's the first episode. What do you think?
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
DK Rapper
post Jan 14 2013, 01:20 AM
Post #2

Video Game Hero

You guys could have a great career in radio. You're far better than most of what I've heard on the radio.
It's Tail Time! At Least I'm Not at the DMV Would Cheech and/or Chong Please Report to the Front Desk Trapped in Boy George's Pants
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
TheMasterDS
post Jan 14 2013, 03:45 AM
Post #3

Master of Banana Coin

Awesome. Got an RSS feed? That's how I get my podcasts now a days. Don't like to listen to them while actually at laptops like to listen to them on the go. I can do that with just an MP3 file but it's easier if it's not treated like a song and thrown into my very large collection but instead gets the Podcast treatment complete with resume functionality.

This is great by the way. This is a good solution to a problem the Vine Audio Programme had which was whenever it came out it was always 6 months out of date. Which, mind you, I don't mind a little blast from the past but generally speaking it pays to be in on the Zeitgeist when it comes to talking about things.
Ghoooooost
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Milo
post Jan 14 2013, 04:59 AM
Post #4

Video Game Hero

In case there weren't already plans to, I support putting this on iTunes. I know I'll listen to anything you guys put out, but yeah it'd be a lot easier and more discoverable for others I expect if it's like a proper podcast n stuff. You could also stick that E3 roundtable in the feed.

And I think this is a good idea, it doesn't shackle the two competing show styles together. Now if people just want news chats or just crazy radio dramas, they both win! Although I very much enjoyed the always contrived manner in which you got your news in the parallel universes. Especially as the gulf between show time and real time increased.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Waddle Dedede
post Jan 14 2013, 09:35 AM
Post #5

Staff Member

Yeah, the Vine's news shoe-hornery beame utterly sublime as it went on. But this was a brilliant idea all the same; I think largely because you're inherently entertaining guys to listen to and don't necessarily need ridiculously convoluted adventure stories to package yourselves in (not that I think that's a bad thing either, of course). Nice to have a more frequently-available medium through which we, your squealing admirers can... well, squeal I suppose.

Also, I enjoy the delicious absurdity of having THREE Donkey Kong-themed audio shows on the same site... BRING 'EM ON!
~ Waddle Dedede
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
TheMasterDS
post Jan 14 2013, 10:03 AM
Post #6

Master of Banana Coin

3 is not enough! Make a fourth that's a spin off show all about Mushroomhead and the man who says "Yeahman".
Ghoooooost
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Katzii
post Jan 14 2013, 12:22 PM
Post #7

Video Game Hero

It's almost like the original PoDKast!

...Except relevant and not shit! thefuturessobright.gif
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Jeff
post Jan 14 2013, 12:32 PM
Post #8

DKVinecraft Admin

I love it, it fits a totally different niche than the other shows. I think the PoDKast in theory was supposed to be more like this, but the desire to produce them more often than the news actually happened, combined with our love of theatrics, lead us very quickly away from real news and into a format that didn't lend itself much to news at all. But now that this exists, I don't have to feel bad about that, and can continue NOT ADDRESSING anything of significance in the PoDKast! That, combined with the relief this gives to The Vine, means that basically everybody benefits, especially the listeners who now get that much more audio to listen to. Any new avenue for Chad and Hyle's wit is a good thing in my book.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Chad
post Jan 14 2013, 12:40 PM
Post #9

Co-Founder

By the way, a main hub, show logo/album art, and iTunes XML feed will be up shortly.

I want to underline that we certainly don't want to step on the PoDKast's toes with this show. This is essentially how we see the three shows and their individual roles:

The Vine - Serialized sci fi comedy radioplay, held together with the loose pretense of being a segment-based audio show

The PoDKast - A more manic, topic-based look at the DKU with an emphasis on comedy over accuracy

The Kongversation: A regularly scheduled half-hour of Chad and Hyle, largely unedited, discussing that biweek's big news item

I don't see why they can't all coexist peacefully, and I like that so far everybody seems to appreciate what it brings to the table. And by the way, it will just initially be me and Hyle on the show, but we haven't ruled out additional or alternate participants in the conversation. We'll just generally play it by ear and see what happens, vowing to keep it unedited and loose.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
DK Rapper
post Jan 14 2013, 02:36 PM
Post #10

Video Game Hero

I love all the audio shows. But my favorite is The Vine. I find it to be the most entertaining. The other two I find equal. I do miss Sean, Mark, and Hank on the PoDKast.
It's Tail Time! At Least I'm Not at the DMV Would Cheech and/or Chong Please Report to the Front Desk Trapped in Boy George's Pants
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Sean
post Jan 14 2013, 03:10 PM
Post #11

Immortal Monkey

I don't!

This was a fun listen, and I like it as basically an extension of (mostly) Hyle and Chad's talking points on the forum itself. I admit that I don't listen to the other shows nearly as often as I should, and I don't have an excuse for that. Maybe I don't get very attached to the whole storyline/humour-before-all-else element, which you could probably guess from the old episodes I helmed! Either way, this was pretty easy to sit down with, and I'll definitely be checking it out in the future (along with other shows, promise).

I could see a downside in what will happen if there isn't even fake news to talk about for a given period of time, but I don't think that'll be much of an obstacle for you guys.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Chad
post Jan 14 2013, 03:16 PM
Post #12

Co-Founder

Yeah, if it comes to that we've decided that we'll try and discuss things that would *probably* be of interest to our readers/listeners. That is, other Nintendo games, rumors about the next gen, weird new DKU merchandise, etc.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
OCRE
post Jan 14 2013, 03:54 PM
Post #13

Kong Family Helper

It was nice to hear some undistracted yet witty video game discussion from you guys again. I'm in support of this!
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Yusuf
post Jan 14 2013, 04:34 PM
Post #14

Video Game Hero

I gave it a listen, I really liked it. I prefer The Vine to be all out science fiction-goodness, so I like the separation of that and video game discussion.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Clutch
post Jan 14 2013, 05:48 PM
Post #15

Staff Member

That was pretty damned enjoyable. And yeah, it might be to the benefit of the other audio shows to not have to stay on top of the news because trying to find ways to fit squeeze them in in a timely manner just delays the production of the Vine more (even though, as Matt said, it kind of made doing so into an art) while the PoDKast can focus more on its themed discussion and DKU analysis so it can derail those into dick jokes and doesn't get completely hung up when there's a dryspell of news.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
emayer
post Jan 14 2013, 09:02 PM
Post #16

Video Game Hero

This was a good listen. You guys are really entertaining, but The Vine can be a little intimidating at times for a casual listener such as myself. This seems like it's right up my alley. Here's hoping there's enough DKU news to warrant a regular episode schedule!
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
cosmic
post Jan 14 2013, 11:42 PM
Post #17

Brother Bear

Glad you guys are doing this. My favourite parts of The Vine are when you two just talk about whats been going on, unscripted (not that I don't like the scripted stuff as well).
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Nintenfreak
post Jan 15 2013, 01:03 AM
Post #18

Video Game Hero

Dillon might be in an existing game, but Banjo and Conker were going to be in games that were coming out, so it's not like they said "Oh this Honeybear is a cool character he should get a game."
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Zeppelin
post Jan 15 2013, 01:42 AM
Post #19

Video Game Hero

I enjoyed this quite a bit. I do still hope you have unscripted moments in the Vine, though. I would hate to lose bits like the one in the 80's episode where you guys recounted middle school.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Milo
post Jan 15 2013, 01:43 AM
Post #20

Video Game Hero

I think B-K was even supposed to come out before DKR, but was delayed. Where would the DKU be if that hadn't happened? Probably it would exist, but with more lenient rules.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
HappyBob
post Jan 15 2013, 01:58 AM
Post #21

Honorary Staff Member

This is a really, really healthy thing. It means less guilt over The Vine's delays (each episode being a feature film set up for repeat viewing), and even less obligation for The PoDKast (of LIES) to cover anything truthful. (I feel like I know less coming out of that show than going in, and I wouldn't want it any other way.)

One part I found really refreshing was hearing the actual Chad and Hyle acknowledge Miyamoto for indirectly creating this subculture, rather than hearing their long-running characters bitch about how he destroyed it. There's a distinct vibe in hearing people talk unencumbered by structure or persona (which is why I loved the behind-the-scenes Vine discussions so much). Now that vibe has a permanent home, I could not be more glad.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Karla
post Jan 15 2013, 02:09 AM
Post #22

LOVES KYLO REN A LOT

QUOTE(cosmic @ Jan 14 2013, 09:42 PM) *

Glad you guys are doing this. My favourite parts of The Vine are when you two just talk about whats been going on, unscripted (not that I don't like the scripted stuff as well).

Ditto. I love following The Vine's story and the scripted parts are fun to listen to (ESPECIALLY when you take a question from a Viewer Like Me™ and then mock us relentlessly) but just the two of you talking, as yourselves, about current DKU news, or anything really...except maybe scrambled eggs.

This new mini podcast to keep up with current news is a great idea. Let's just hope there's enough news to actually keep this thing going every other week or so.

And I like the name! It's a pun, like Diddy's Kong Quest.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Scraps69
post Jan 15 2013, 05:59 AM
Post #23

IRON FINGER

Alright, time for my usual rubbish, though not so late that the next podcast just came out rubbish heh:

Spoiler:

Well, I have to say that this decision to split the DKVinekast into two was a good idea. I often felt as though when listening to the DKVineKast that these segments were jammed in and often felt the news was too late - I had often forgotten about the rumour and was already bored with it. And that the discussion re Donkey Kong Uni news would break the flow of the sci fi story. In fact, I would lose interest in the Donkey Kong discussion and it would just filter more as white noise. But this is great where it is uninterrupted and contemporary DKU news which is good. If you guys have a Kongversation much earlier in regards to these types of news (I mean the Diddy Kong Racing news thing was what, a month ago?) then you lads are hitting a sweet spot that only a well worn leathery vagina can feel heh.

You lads also have a good talent for flowing conversation and I think it is stated above re radio hosts. Congrats. Good Podcast and good decision lads.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Jeff
post Jan 15 2013, 08:04 AM
Post #24

DKVinecraft Admin

I don't think you guys necessarily have to force this to be a regular thing; Trying to do two in a month consistently, regardless of the actual news, seems like it'll implode eventually. I imagined it just cropping up whenever the news does, almost like a special bulletin rather than trying to keep a regular schedule when there's nothing to talk about. Though actually, you COULD even just pick up on hot topics that are going on in the forums that aren't even necessarily news related. Yeah, now that I think about it, that's exactly what you should do (provided there's no real news to talk about for a length of time).
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Chad
post Jan 15 2013, 09:46 AM
Post #25

Co-Founder

The reason I'm not really worried about a frequent schedule is that the episodes are only 30ish minutes long each, and there is essentially no editing involved. It's just a matter of leveling Hyle's and my audio, syncing them up, cropping the beginning and end, and sandwiching it between the intro song (brilliantly composed by our own Matt Cornah) and the File Two ending bug. That whole process, from starting the recording to uploading the finished MP3, takes MAYBE 90 minutes. An hour and a half every other week seems do-able, at least right now.

I'm really glad to see basically universal approval for this thing. Thanks, everyone.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Slush
post Jan 16 2013, 03:15 PM
Post #26

To those of you who like the unscripted discussion in The Vine, you don't need to worry. There will still be segments like that. This just removes the "news discussion" portion from the top of the episode, which has always felt at odds with the rest of the show (especially as the other segments have gotten more-and-more "themed" with the plot of the particular episode).

However, there's still going to be a news discussion segment in episode 207 (which we recorded before this) and sort of in episode 208 (not really news, but something we've been putting off).
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Slush
post Jan 18 2013, 01:00 AM
Post #27

ALSO! Big ups to Matt for the awesome theme. He cranked that baby out in two days at basically no notice.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
M-Dog1000000
post Jan 18 2013, 02:09 AM
Post #28

Lord of Games

Great show, guys. It's nice hearing a bit of real non-character speculation from you two, nothing felt forced.

It's an interesting discussion too, the Diddy Kong Racing Wii U rumor... It's still something in the back of my mind that I see as possible. I mean, we really don't know what Monster games is working on, and so far, they've only ever revived old forgotten Nintendo IPs, and Diddy Kong Racing is one of those old forgotten Nintendo IPs as well. And trust me guys, they're a good development team. Excitebots is one of the most creative and enjoyable racers I've played this past generation, and I'd love to see that same level of creativity used for a Diddy Kong Racing game.

I'm still not sure if Nintendo would go through all the trouble in bringing back those old DKR characters though... It's just so much extra work for them with so little reward, it's not like fans are begging for the return of these characters (not enough at least), their faces wouldn't be able to sell the game. That is unless Monster Games really really wants these characters to return. But I wouldn't think Nintendo would value them all that much... But hey, stranger things have happened.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Milo
post Jan 18 2013, 02:37 AM
Post #29

Video Game Hero

Is Diddy Kong Racing really a "Nintendo IP" though? I would think that the general perception of it is that it's a Rare IP.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
M-Dog1000000
post Jan 18 2013, 02:46 AM
Post #30

Lord of Games

I would think so, they do own Diddy Kong, and I'm pretty sure they're the ones who had Rare remake the game for DS too, just as it was their idea for Rare to remake the DKC series on GBA.

The original Diddy Kong Racing did very well for Nintendo, and I think the DS remake did well too. And both of those games still had a Mario Kart to compete with, so I wouldn't think Nintendo would disregard it just because Mario Kart exists.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Milo
post Jan 18 2013, 06:05 AM
Post #31

Video Game Hero

No, what I said was the perception is that it's a Rare game. Two and a half games made by Rare, populated almost exclusively by characters made by Rare. The fact that they were competing directly with Mario Karts also makes them seem less fully Nintendo.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Jeff
post Jan 18 2013, 08:02 AM
Post #32

DKVinecraft Admin

Except that it stars Diddy Kong, and the VAST majority of people played it on an N64 not knowing or caring WHO made it. It's a Nintendo franchise in most people's eyes, and people are nostalgic for the N64 these days.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Grunt Von Veisaton
post Jan 18 2013, 08:10 AM
Post #33

Kong Family Helper

I gave it a listen and I loved it! Like you stated, I miss the old days of speculating like crazy about a rumor, instead of just immediately going "it's fake" right off the bat.

I'd love to see a new Diddy Kong Racing regardless.

Fantastic work as always guys!
[size=7][i]"Curse you , El Taco-Man!You can make fun of my weight,You can foil my plans,But when you ate my last bag of pork rinds, you went too far!"
-Grunt Von Veisaton
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Chad
post Jan 25 2013, 02:35 PM
Post #34

Co-Founder

As promised, here's another episode (as linked by our brand new hub page)! I'm working on the XML feed as we speak... I'll let you know as soon as Apple has let it propagate through their system. In the meantime, enjoy it on the site!

In this episode, Hyle and I discuss our inconsistently informed impressions of the Wii U, touching on sone of the Nintendo Direct news from earlier this week.

By the way, we plan on releasing new episodes on alternating Fridays starting today.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Sean
post Jan 25 2013, 03:09 PM
Post #35

Immortal Monkey

Oh, Chad, your dire hope to be escaped from Mario Party... Wii U Party is a sequel to a game called Wii Party, which was a game done by the Mario Party team. A lot of people thought the same as you do for this... and then Mario Party 9 came out. It will never end!
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Chad
post Jan 25 2013, 03:18 PM
Post #36

Co-Founder

But.... it's the exact same game! How can they possibly have this many mini-game ideas? By this point they've got to be largely crap. Just think of the ones that DIDN'T make the cut in development.

Also, in the vein of NSMB U and Mario Kart 7, why don't they just let you play as a Mii in the Mario Party game? At least then they could whittle down the minigames to the most refined ones and not have two identical games with different IPs on the same system from the same company.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Jeff
post Jan 25 2013, 03:33 PM
Post #37

DKVinecraft Admin

I don't mind the two identical mini game IPs going, because the alternative would've been this being named Mario Party ELEVEN.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
TheMasterDS
post Jan 25 2013, 03:40 PM
Post #38

Master of Banana Coin

Mario Party 9 was admittedly not at all the same game as the previous Mario Parties but in a really shitty way. You all drove around in a single car and there wasn't a minigame every turn only one if you landed on a specific space. It was really shitty and I hope no one bought it because man it looked bad. Why would they make those changes to Mario Party?
Ghoooooost
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Jeff
post Jan 25 2013, 04:08 PM
Post #39

DKVinecraft Admin

YOU HAVEN'T PLAYED THE GAME. Seriously. HOW can you possibly have such strong opinions when you literally don't have anything to go off of?

Why would they make those changes to Mario Party?

Maybe it's because, you know, this is Mario Party NINE, and they thought it was time to try a significant change for once? You can't complain that they make too many of them and then complain that this isn't exactly like every one of them.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
TheMasterDS
post Jan 25 2013, 04:13 PM
Post #40

Master of Banana Coin

Because they made the wrong changes, not the right ones.
Ghoooooost
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
XD375
post Jan 25 2013, 04:40 PM
Post #41

Video Game Hero

I really liked this episode, and I'm still loving the theme song.

I noticed what I believe to be an error, though: Shouldn't the banner say 102?
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Chad
post Jan 25 2013, 04:55 PM
Post #42

Co-Founder

Yep! Fixed. Thanks for pointing that out.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Jeff
post Jan 26 2013, 12:51 AM
Post #43

DKVinecraft Admin

Forgot to mention, great episode once again! I will never get tired of unscripted Chad and Hyle discussion, and hearing that it's going to be a regularly scheduled thing is great to hear.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Katzii
post Jan 26 2013, 04:01 AM
Post #44

Video Game Hero

I noticed that The Kongversation still doesn't have its own link on the main site.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Man-Frog
post Jan 26 2013, 03:40 PM
Post #45

Immortal Monkey

QUOTE(TheMasterDS @ Jan 25 2013, 05:13 PM) *

Because they made the wrong changes, not the right ones.

I guess unsubstantiated opinions are facts now.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Katzii
post Jan 26 2013, 04:08 PM
Post #46

Video Game Hero

You mean you didn't know this already, Man-Frog? thefuturessobright.gif
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
TheMasterDS
post Jan 28 2013, 10:08 PM
Post #47

Master of Banana Coin

XML's up at http://www.dkvine.com/kongversation/kongversation.xml if you use a podcast thing that's not iTunes like me. It's probably also on iTunes now? Will listen to the last two episodes tomorrow probably.
Ghoooooost
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Waddle Dedede
post Jan 29 2013, 10:43 AM
Post #48

Staff Member

Forgot to hop in and say, once again, niiiice ep!

Whaddaya know, Chad and Hyle disagree on a thing! I'm pretty firmly on Hyle's side re: the apparent purchaseworthiness of the Wuu, m'self; the fact that they're systematically cloning the Wii back catalogue in an amusingly cynical fashion doesn't help, but I think Hyle pulled off the REEEAL FANCY nail-head hitting with his remark about mobile phone games being essentially the equivalent experience. What is the actual selling point of the thing?

...not that I wouldn't be interested in a Wii U port of Snake 2, of course.
~ Waddle Dedede
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Chad
post Jan 29 2013, 10:47 AM
Post #49

Co-Founder

For single-player games, you may have something there. But for me, the real draw is the way a second player is able to participate in what would normally be a totally 1-player game. The other side is that the touch interface and all that stuff is entirely optional for the developer. It's not something like an iPhone that mandates you interact with a gyroscope and touchscreen alone. It's more a hybrid of mobile and traditional gaming than one or the other.

And again, the multiplayer aspect can NOT be overstated. That's where this console really shines.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
TheMasterDS
post Jan 29 2013, 12:19 PM
Post #50

Master of Banana Coin

I think the selling point is that it's a goddamn console. It can do things a console can like play full on AAA games. Aint no one releasing Bioshock Infinite on an iPhone. They're also not releasing Bioshock Infinite on the Wii U and I've always planned to buy it on the 360 so I guess it's a bad example actually. Still console games are bigger in scope than iPhone games.
Ghoooooost
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

96 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Start new topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th October 2017 - 03:22 PM
Banana Coins don't grow on trees! Please help keep this site running.
DK Vine Forums